Ubuntu 18.04

Hello,

Are there any plans for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS support in the near future?

Hi Rickert, 18.04 Bionic Beaver isn’t officially supported by NVIDIA yet in JetPack-L4T, we have started to plan the transition from 16.04 but it’s not in the immediate future. Unofficially, some forum posters have found a workaround to get JetPack 3.2 installer running under 18.04 x86_64 on the flashing host PC side: [url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1033194/jetson-tx2/installing-jetpack-3-2-on-ubuntu-18-04/post/5259553/#5259553[/url]

Ok thanks,

So 18.04 on the ARM device side is not in the immediate future, but on the host side it is possible to use 18.04 using the workaround?

Correct. 18.04 on the host side isn’t by an official patch from us, but a few posters have confirmed it now.

Okay, thanks.

Hi, Just an idea. Would it be possible to open source JetPack and involve community into JetPack update process? Ubuntu 16.04 is about to switch to maintenance mode only. Best Regards.

Not an answer, but probably of interest…

Currently Xavier is 18.04, and although the TX2 is not included in L4T R31.x (which is from JetPack4.x), a few people have used this to flash a TX2 and it works. I can’t say for sure, but it seems that some future release will support 18.04 in both Xavier and TX2.

Hi, I am on TX1 ;(.

TX1 isn’t receiving any more feature additions. Sorry, I wouldn’t expect a TX1 to get 18.04.

Has status of this changed (I hope)? Not so concerned about TX1 getting feature additions as continuing to be useful and usable with other tools that do keep pace with and are tied to later OS releases and kernels. While stable, 16.04 is stale.

From JetPack SDK | NVIDIA Developer
“A future version of JetPack 4 will be validated for use with Jetson TX1. For now, JetPack 3.3 remains the current production release for Jetson TX1”

Fingers crossed.

There would be no guarantees, but you could try SDK Manager 4.2 (the JetPack4.2 replacement). Otherwise there is no news on this.

Hopefully it is supported now with JetPack 4.3 and it works even better that 16.04 so the issue is closed now.

Hi Marcin, yes all of the Jetson’s (TX1/TX2/Xavier/Nano) have been running Ubuntu 18.04 since JetPack 4.2.