Ubuntu 22.04 does not detect external monitor

I made a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04.1, using latest driver 515.
The external monitor cannot be detected. On the windows installation it works normally.

Tried many solutions on the internet like switching to lightgdm, older drivers versions (470) but without success.

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.0 MB)

Thanks

Hi.
Thanks for the reply. Could you point me some link to do the grub and modprobe part?
I changed /etc/default/grub with:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash nvidia_drm.modeset=0”
and then sudo update-grub

Also changed:
/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers-kms.conf with
options nvidia-drm modeset=0
and then sudo update-initramfs -u

but it didn’t work.

Bellow the new logs:
nvidia-bug-report.log (1.6 MB)
Xorg.1.log (82.7 KB)

Thanks!

Same issue:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/hdmi-disconnected-linux-mint-on-ubuntu-22-04/223159/8?u=generix
HDMI is connected to the intel gpu, the bios has an incorrect VBT, so it’s disabled.
Please check for a bios update.

Thanks for the reply!

Could not find any bios update on the manufacturer site, but will get in touch to see if they have any updates available.
Current BIOS: INSYDE Corp. 1.07.11TBN, April 07, 2022.

In the meantime I tested on windows (same monitor, same cable) and it works out of the box. Could it still be a BIOS issue?

Thanks!

Yes. Seems to be some bios dev at insyde not knowing how to build a proper bios. The intel windows driver can override this so it works. The intel linux driver unfortunately relies on the VBT to be correct.

Similar issue where the internal display is affected, insyde bios on lenovo:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/5531

Got it!
Will get in touch with manufacturer to try to get a bios update.
Thank you!

Hi,

I’m facing what seems to be the same or a similar issue, using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, on a laptop with a GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q.

I’ve tried pretty much everything I could find on forums (reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers, using different versions of NVIDIA drivers, using Liquorix kernel, not using NVIDIA drivers at all, using different cables, different monitor, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, secure boot disabled, etc.) but no output on the external monitors at all.

My BIOS is also from Insyde, version 1.07.13TBN, 06/09/2022

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (372.3 KB)

Yes, same issue. All external connectors on the intel igpu, 12th gen intel cpu+insyde bios with incorrect vbt
[ 7.457037] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] failed to retrieve link info, disabling eDP

Though it’s odd the mini-dp doesn’t work either. Maybe double-check with i915 issue tracker.

Though it’s odd the mini-dp doesn’t work either.

I used a mini-dp to HDMI adapter, being the mini-dp connected to the laptop video output and the HDMI to a display through a regular HDMI cable.

The same adapter worked on my old laptop also with Ubuntu 22.04.

Maybe double-check with i915 issue tracker.

Ok, thanks.

There are also other i915 error messages in dmesg so there ight be an additional bug affecting the mini-dp.

Just in case, I ordered a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable over the weekend. It just worked out-of-the-box.

Just wonder if my case is similar to this case as well?
I don’t know how to interpret that in the log file.
If you could help out.

Thanks
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (105.1 KB)

No, this thread is about an insyde bios issue on 12th gen intel cpus, you have an amd cpu.
Where did you connect your external monitor?

Hello!I I run the into the same issue on a HP Omen laptop with:

AMD® Ryzen 7 4800h with radeon graphics × 16

NVIDIA Geforce GTX

I am using the latest recommended driver (535 tested) and gdm3 as my display manager.

And attached is my bug report:
nvidia-bug-report.log (2.2 MB)

I have already tried all the methods mentioned on various stackoverflow posts so would really appreciate any leads. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Epic on installing Ubuntu 22.04 on HP Omen Laptop, 32 GB RAM, 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-13700HX × 24, Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics (ADL-S GT1) / Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics (ADL-S GT1) (Nvidia Graphics card)

Issue was that the laptop was unable to connect to external displays neither via HDMI nor USB-C

1. Unless you are experienced with secure boot - disable it in BIOS
  2. During Ubuntu 22.04 installation, connect to the internet and select 3rd party proprietary drivers
  3. I am not sure about this one, but I did it (could be that just changing to Wayland and/or step 6. below are sufficient):
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1412695/ubuntu-22-04-no-display-signal-from-device
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa -y

sudo apt update

ubuntu-drivers devices

# replace the below driver with the recommended from the above output

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-535

reboot
  1. on login screen choose Wayland
  2. The natural resolution for the main display is 2560x1440 (240 Hz)
  3. I had issues connecting an external display with lower resolution both to HDMI and USB-C. Not sure if this helped (or the switch to Wayland), but changing the main display resolution to a lower value (1920x1080 60 Hz) arguably helped so that the external display receives USB-C or HDMI signal
  4. for my eye sight the main display resolution of 2560x1440 240 Hz shows too small text. I’ve enabled fractional scaling and have set the main display to 150% (a setting I borrowed from Windows 11 on the same laptop)