Ubuntu 22.04 installing CUDA changes nvidia drivers and breaks suspend

On a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04, using the system’s “additional drivers” it runs nvidia driver 510.x and suspend works fine on my i9-7940x and GTX 3090. When I install Cuda 11.7 from the repo here, it automatically switches to the 515.x driver and suspend no longer works.

With the original 510.x driver the nvidia-suspend.service, resume and hibernate all show as available. After installing Cuda (which switches to 515.x) these services are now showing as “masked” (which means they point to /dev/null). I’m assuming this is the issue. Is there a simple fix for this?

There are a number of post about similar issues with previous Ubuntu versions but my system worked fine as Ubuntu 20.04 and cuda 11.3 so it seems odd that Nvidia would re-introduce an old bug in a newer version of their install package.

2 Likes

Same experience here. Suspend and resume helps save energy…

Edit: I found a solution
a) Ubuntu 22.04, Nvidia Driver v515, Cuda 11.7

sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/systemd-hibernate.service.requires/nvidia-resume.service
sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/systemd-hibernate.service.requires/nvidia-hibernate.service
sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service.requires/nvidia-resume.service
sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service.requires/nvidia-suspend.service

1 Like