Ubuntu 22.04, TREX and No devices were found

It’s been running fine until Ubuntu installed kernel 5.4 around 6/15. Since then no upgrade/downgrade/swapping TREX into another PCI slot helps. I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and installed the 515 driver – still nothing.

lspci shows the card
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [TITAN RTX] (rev a1)
but Nvidia-smi reports
No devices were found.

Is my card fried?

Just tested in PopOS with the same effect.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Hi. Please, see attached the bug report.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (64.1 KB)

NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x22:0x40:731)
The gpu might be broken. Please check in another system to confirm.

I sadly have no means to test it in another system. But I tried on various OSs and different PCI slots to same result… Thanks for your time!

Already tried downgrading to driver 470 to rule out a driver bug?

I admit I have not tried that. Is there any specific kernel version I’d have to use with the 470 driver? I noticed that the RmInitAdapter failed! only showed up after the kernel upgraded on or around 6/15/22.

470 doesn’t require any specific kernel, just switch to it using Software&Updates.

I’m on server so will try to work it out thru CLI. Will report back once I have some data points. Thank you!

Just tested with 470 diver - same result. The same happens if I remove the power cables: lspci still detects the card but is unable to load the driver. I wonder if this might be a power issue.

Earlier, the driver had a specific warning about that but I don’t know if that’s still the case. Low chance but worth a shot.

It was the same error: RmInitAdapter failed!. Apologies, should’ve included that earlier.

pls 1. do a clean install ubuntu 18.04.6LTS
2 disable nouveau
3. update-initramfs -u
3. apt install build-essential
4. install one of these drivers manually: 470.82.0/ 460.91.03
there shouldnt be any problem!!

Thanks. Will try that. Fingers crossed this works.

Finally had a chance to follow these steps. Same error. I think my TRTX is gone :(