BusID “PCI:1@0:0:0”
Option “ConstrainCursor” “off”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “nvidia”
Device “nvidia”
Option “AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration” “on”
EndSection

I wish I could remove some of these comments, entirely.

It looks like nouveau isn’t loaded up any more, so that’s good.

I don’t see any driver crashes in the kernel log, so that’s good too.

But it does look like you maybe have a bumblebee setup (for Optimus graphics) and perhaps it’s trying to switch between the Intel IGP and the nvidia GPU and when these two drivers collide the X server hangs. Unfortunately I have no experience with Optimus setups but maybe doing a search for bumblebee hangs can get you pointed in the right direction. It could be just a configuration issue or it might not be supported for your laptop yet.

Another thing you could try doing is generating a default xorg.conf file (but the install may have done this already for you).

You can do this by running sudo nvidia-xconfig or I think you can also save one from the nvidia-settings GUI. (but you’d have to run the GUI with admin privileges so sudo nvidia-settings)

Well I searched for bumblebee hangs Linux and got very little results. And what I did find looks complicated Ill keep looking. I’ve never even heard of bumblebee. And this is a fresh install of ubuntu except for a couple things. So I’m confused.

As for the xorg.conf, I already had one that command just backed it up and made a new one.

Ah the generated xorg changed my screen resolution drastically I had to edit it and remove two lines from it to get it to have the correct resolution. Gonna test it out now

Also I’m thinking I’ll just get rid of ubuntu. Maybe someday they’ll release my drivers and I’ll come back. The drivers I’m using now are weak when they aren’t crashing ubuntu. They’re pulling about 5-10fps lower than windows drivers.

Unless you got another idea I’ll just do that, but thanks for your help, I appreciate it anyway.

You’re probably best sticking with Windows for now.

NVIDIA and Intel don’t support Optimus setups on Linux.

What version of previous driver worked on this notebook? I think you system is Optimus with intel + nvidia cards.

[ 5.005] (–) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:0416:1043:157d rev 6, Mem @ 0xed400000/4194304, 0x80000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x0000f000/64
[ 5.005] (–) PCI: (0:1:0:0) 10de:1392:1043:157d rev 162, Mem @ 0xec000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/268435456, 0xd0000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000e000/128, BIOS @ 0x???/524288

I think nvidia-prime package configuring your notebook for display offloading feature.

Check if below links this help. Follow all steps in proper-way:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/340.32/README/optimus.html
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/340.32/README/randr14.html

Also test for both modesetting and Intel driver.

Is there any option in bios to disable Intel gpu ?

There isn’t a driver that I’ve installed that works completely. And I do not recall a setting in BIOS to disable the intel graphics, I believe it has to be running.

Interesting information, unfortunately I’ve already removed ubuntu. Thanks though.

Actually I think I gave the wrong information on that question, which driver actually worked? I don’t know what driver it was but when I first install ubuntu, it comes with a driver that runs the intel 4400 graphics on the computer. So the nvidia is not being used. I pull about 10 fps playing games with it. But it works.

i really still would like to solve this if it’s not a very complicated procedure, I’m a pretty light ubuntu user. If anyone has any information that they think may solve this problem post it, and I will reinstall and try again.

Just tried this [url]http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/04/how-to-install-nvidia-331-67-stable-graphics-drivers-in-linux.html[/url] I thought I finally found the answer. But when Ubuntu started it would say your card cannot be properly configured and I couldn’t do anything until I uninstalled everything.

I solved this, it was time consuming and I’m not even sure I can repeat the steps. But you have to use Bumblebee. Remove all nvidia stuff, LEAVE the noveau stuff you’ll need it so don’t blacklist it, and you have to run nvidia-xconfig after you install the drivers listed in this thread.

If you get an error message when starting optirun saying can’t find secondary drivers do another search on google and find the answer for that using someone elses config file.

This is just basically what I did, I was really just messing around the entire time or I’d be more definitive and certain about what I did. Hopefully I can do this again if I ever reinstall ;)