Ubuntu MATE 20.04 with RTX 3070 on Ryzen 5900 - black screen after boot

Absolutely the same problem and remains after trying the fix. Asus Rog Strix G17 G713QM 2021 (RTX 3060, Ryzen 5800H)

1 Like

A new G713QM user with Ubuntu 21.04 here. Found a fix for the shutdown issue! I stumbled into hid-asus-rog repository here asus-linux / hid-asus-rog · GitLab and saw the latest commit message “Filter random XF86PowerOff events” from 2 months ago. That looked promising. However, here ASUS NoteBook Linux it said that if you have kernel 5.11+, you don’t need the dkms module. I decided to try anyway. So I installed the deb and rebooted and… nothing.

Then I checked the repository tags and saw that the installed package was older than the latest commit so I tried the manual installation (ASUS NoteBook Linux). Rebooted again and what do you know, no more keyboard issue!

1 Like

I’ve just had a very similar problem on an Acer Nitro 5 (5800h - rtx 3070), but on ubuntu 20.04 (no MATE). Just updating the kernel solved it for me.
I used the oem kernel Kernel/OEMKernel - Ubuntu Wiki which is currently at 5.10, and I installed it with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b

1 Like

Not a question, but a report of successful driver installation.

Computer: ASUS Rog Strix G17 G713QM-HX121.
GPU: NVIDIA RTX3060 laptop + Radeon RX Vega 8.
CPU: Ryzen7 5800H.
System: Ubuntu 20.04, minimal installation, no sudo apt upgrade done.

I followed the solution provided in the pinned post with this answer as an additional guidance.

Differences from the accepted solution:

• I used linux kernel version 5.11.0;
  • There was no need to apply the patch, so I skipped the step 3.

Comments:

• Although a newer nvidia driver was available (465), I installed 460, since that was the driver that was available at the time the solution was posted.
  • In this linux kernel version (5.11.0), as it was mentioned by Kaczor, the laptop’s keyboard is not functional and the computer can’t turn itself off.
  • As of now, the green_sardine firmware is still needed to be installed, as mentioned in the solution.

These are the issues that I’m currently OK with, since I can use an external keyboard and switch the computer off by pressing the corresponding key. Maybe someday I’ll have the guts to update the kernel or install an asus-specific drivers to address these problems. But for now, I’m just happy with my nvidia gpu working correctly.

Thanks to generix and predte4a and Kaczor.

Hi, ollipuu,
Could you, please, elaborate what kernel version do you have and what exactly have you done to fix the shutdown problem?

I have tried several 5.11+ kernels and the keyboard doesn’t work with any of them. I also tried to install the hid-asus-rog driver, despite the fact that it claims to be unnecessary for 5.11+, and got no results.

Hi, I may have celebrated too early. First the issue started to appear again randomly and now it seems it’s broken again. I don’t know if some update broke it. But basically I had clean Ubuntu 21.04 and then cloned the hid-asus-rog repository and build and installed the module manually.