Unable to find display

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

Processing: nvidia-bug-report.log.gz…

Thanks for the quick response it just took a moment to upload.

Seems to happen a lot lately… your upload is stuck in the virus scanner. Please try again (maybe edit your original post…).

2 Likes

Well uploading it here didn’t seem to work so I uploaded it on google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13btKbgAKEx_Ion_A7MuGJR_PYgejPeWB?usp=sharing

Jan 5 22:50:28 skikk-17MD7P kernel: [105068.886987] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 495.46, but
Jan 5 22:50:28 skikk-17MD7P kernel: [105068.886987] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 495.44. Please
Jan 5 22:50:28 skikk-17MD7P kernel: [105068.886987] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
Jan 5 22:50:28 skikk-17MD7P kernel: [105068.886987] NVRM: components have the same version.

Something went wrong in the update. Userland and kernel components have different versions.
sudo apt purge 'nvidia*' 'libnvidia*'
and then
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-495

hint: next time check your log in: /var/log/kern.log

2 Likes

Thanks Mart for the reply. I pursued like you suggested and rebooted the system afterwards, but the error still exist. But I am generating just now a new bug report.

The new version of the bug report is still here: NVIDIA - Google Drive
and its called nvidia-bug-report (1).log

Didn’t you reboot?

2 Likes

Yes I did. Why?

Your bug report is (as the first one) missing a lot of information.

I see this:

Jan 06 00:15:05 skikk-17MD7P kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1641424505.491:87): apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile=“snap.chromium.chromium” name="/home/skikk/nvidia-bug-report.log.gz" pid=18311 comm=“ThreadPoolForeg” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0
Jan 06 00:42:18 skikk-17MD7P audit[18311]: AVC apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile=“snap.chromium.chromium” name="/home/skikk/nvidia-bug-report.log.gz" pid=18311 comm=“ThreadPoolForeg” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0

Could be that apparmor is interfering. Also with the installation and all. Could you please for testing at least set apparmor to permissive mode?

The run the apt purge command again.
And after that please post the output of:

dpkg -l | grep nvidia
dpkg -l | grep cuda
2 Likes

There’s no kernel driver installed, headers missing? Please post the output of
dkms status

2 Likes

Was gonna get there…
Please also show output of:
dpkg -l|grep linux-headers-$(uname -r)

2 Likes

That was the wuickest one to respond:
skikk@skikk-17MD7P:~$ dkms status
nvidia, 495.46: added
I will now try your suggestions Mart.

Do that first…

2 Likes

Sorry but there is no output, when I run your command.

Well yes then the kernel headers are indeed missing. They are needed to compile the nvidia kernel module.

sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

and then
sudo dkms install nvidia/496.46

2 Likes

And how do I set apparmor to permissive and back to (I don’t know) intolerant(?).

The /etc/apparmor.d directory is where the AppArmor profiles are located. It can be used to manipulate the mode of all profiles.

Enter the following to place all profiles into complain mode:

sudo aa-complain /etc/apparmor.d/*

But lets stall this for now.
I personally stopped using apparmor. It’s a pain in the a** to maintain, half the time you use your computer you are adapting rules and after each update you kinda start over.
I was just really curious if that interfered with the bug report.

2 Likes