Unfinished JetPack Flashing

I tried to flash my Jetson over a host Laptop with Ubuntu 16.04

My Setup was: The Host was connected to the internet over Wifi and the Target was connected to the host over ethernet and dhcp. The Target was able to surf the web with this connection before the flashing.

Installation and flashing was successfull till the Post Installation window tried to find the targets IP Adress. As i did not know the IP Adress to type it in manually the process stopped here because i accidentaly hit Enter.

The Jetson now boots normally, but the strange thing is that he does not find the ethernet connection to the host anymore. Instead there is a new connection called “eth0” that has not been there before.

My question is now: Is the flashing of the Jetson complete? Or is something missing? Can i manually complete the missing things with the Jetson? Or do i have to redo the whole flashing process

eth0 is just the normal wired network. Sometimes udev will rename this to something else, but eth0 is actually the “basic” unaltered first wired ethernet name.

Does “ifconfig” show an address? What is the eth0 part of “ifconfig” showing?

If you use your PC as router, then it is up to the PC to assign an address. If you monitor on your PC with “dmesg --follow”, and then boot the Jetson, you could possibly see a DHCP request and address assignment or denial.

All flashing occurs over the micro-B USB connector. The extra package installs which occur after the flash completes and the Jetson reboots is done over wired ethernet. Flashing again won’t change this.

You can run JetPack at any time after a flash, uncheck the flash steps, and then still do software installs once you know what your address is.

Hey linuxdev,

thanks for your reply!

Before the flashing the connection was named “Wired Connection 1” on both the host and the jetson, but now the network-manager of the host only shows “device not managed” on ethernet connecttions since the flashing.

“ifoncfig” on the host shows:

enx9cebe8455c93 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 9c:eb:e8:45:5c:93  
          inet addr:10.0.0.1  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::9eeb:e8ff:fe45:5c93/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:688 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:129804 (129.8 KB)  TX bytes:15201 (15.2 KB)

So it still sees the connection, but the network manager does not show it anymore. Also the Jetson gets no Internet connection, although this worked before the flashing.

“ifconfig” on the Jetson also shows an ethernet connection, but called “eth0” and without the “Inet addr” and “inet6 addr” lines.

if i monitor my host with “dmesg --follow” and i boot the jetson it shows:

[ 6864.000243] cdc_ncm 2-2.3:1.5 enx9cebe8455c93: 1000 mbit/s downlink 1000 mbit/s uplink
[ 6864.016246] cdc_ncm 2-2.3:1.5 enx9cebe8455c93: network connection: connected

Furthermore Apt-get update at the host shows following warning since the flashing:

W: Invalid 'Date' entry in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/_var_libopencv4tegra-repo_Release

“Wired Connection 1” is not the actual device name, it’s an alias used in some management software. eth0 is the actual device driver file software talks to.

Various software additions often use the “udev” system to rename device special files (the driver files). All names are valid, but different software may have different expectations as to naming.

NetworkManager is not my favorite software…I tend to say words I otherwise do not normally use :P

In particular, NetworkManager is designed to behave in certain dynamic ways depending on whether WiFi is up or down…and sometimes that behavior is quite frustrating since it can reconfigure wired even though you don’t want it to…each time WiFi goes up or down it can destroy your wired connection if not configured correctly. You may need to dig into NetworkManager configuration to get the behavior you want.

The name “enx9cebe8455c93” is just a udev rename of what was previously something like “eth0”. The two names behave exactly the same…just use the name which ifconfig shows.

In the case of a separate router appliance (Jetson and Host both connected to a router) I believe JetPack does not touch the host’s network setup. If you flashed and used JetPack to tell it the Jetson is connected to the PC instead of to a router appliance, then JetPack probably made some configuration changes on the host so that the host can act as a router. I am unable to tell you exactly what those changes would be.

The “device not managed” note says that networking for that device is not touched by NetworkManager…something told NetworkManager to not alter that device (I try to force this on wired and tell NetworkManager I don’t want it…but I also do not use WiFi). It could have been JetPack…I have no way to know.

The “apt-get” message is harmless. Apparently some time back there were certain voluntary package date metadata values, and then that metadata (or metadata format) became mandatory because of some policy by developers (I don’t know the full story). Older packages without that format (or without that metadata) started showing this as a warning. As long as the software installed there shouldn’t be anything to worry about.