unstable USB issue on TX2

Hi Evankwok,
We have SDMMC1 on TX2. What is the reson you don’t use it to connect to SD card?
Also can PEX_RFU be a good USB3 port on your board?

Hi DaneLLL

We planned to use third party SD controller to support UHS-II, which TX2 doesn’t support. PEX_RFU is exactly what we’re using for SD right now.

Hi EvanKwok,
Please share your device tree and dmesg of 64GB and 128GB cards. Are both 64GB and 128GB card recognized as Superspeed?

We don’t have board attaching USB3 port into SD card reader. Need more information so that we can give further suggestion.

Hi DaneLLL

Please check the attachment for the device tree and dmesg info. And yes the SD controller is recognized as Superspeed with both 64GB/128GB.

sd_mount_diff.txt (3.28 KB)
dtbs.zip (472 KB)

Hi Evan
For dmesg, it is partial. Please attach full log of booting and inserting Sd card.
For device tree, please give the part of USB land mapping, such as:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1030635/jetson-tx2/tx2-config-4-for-usb-lane-mapping/post/5243174/#5243174[/url]

Hi Evan,

You mentioned it works if you switch the card reader to USB_SS0 throught a USB3 Type-A port, so when you connect to PEX_RFU, do you also go through USB3 Type-A port?

Hi DaneLLL

No I don’t go through a Type-A port, the SD card inserted in the SD controller, which is connected to the USB hub chip.

I’ll try to collect the log again and attach it here later.

Hi Evan,
We suggest you try USB3 Type-A on PEX_RFU. It is still more like a HW issue.

Hi EvanKwok, if you are using config #4, there should be 3 USB3.0 ports (PEX_RFU, USB_SS1, USB_SS0), so what’s the device on USB_SS1 port? Please note, PEX_RFU and USB_SS1 share the total 5Gbps bandwidth, while USB_SS0 has dedicated 5Gbps bandwidth. If the device of USB_SS1 consumes too much bandwidth simultaneously, the PEX_RFU port might be affected.

-Dane

I’m preparing a test with Type-A port on PRX_RFU, and will put the result later

-Trumany

In the case where we left all other USB device we can also see this issue occurs, currently haven’t seen any difference between these 2 status(with or without other device)

Hi EvanKwok,

Have you done the test? Any result can be shared?

Thanks

Hi Kayccc,

It’s too difficult to attach a Type-A onto the pin, the operating space is too tiny… we failed to run the test.

For a trial, can you remove USB3 type A of USB_SS0 and attach SD card reader directly? Not sure but it still looks like the failure is caused by HW deviation.

Hi Dane

It’s also not that easy, but we’ll try.

Besides we tried to reset VBUS after the system boot up, and it now seems much better on recognizing the SD card, although it didn’t work in the previous test where we reset VBUS after the failure occurs.

But still there is ONE card always fails to be recognized, while it’s working normally on PC or other camera device. The failure log still stays the same as what I’ve posted previously.