Updated suggestions on installing software?

https://www.pgroup.com/resources/tips.htm

I see this is out of date: none of the 7.x compilers are mentioned, and at least in the case of WRF, it has increased by a version.

Are these likely to be updated soon? Most, but not all, seems to work with 7.x.

Thanks!

Hi alspehr,

Are these likely to be updated soon?

Hopefully with the 7.1 release I’ll be able to get them updated. For the most part, the 6.2 directions will work with 7.0. I do need to update WRF to their V2.2 since their build process has changed.

Questons:
Do you find the T&T pages useful?
Are there any other community codes that we should add?
If we Wikified them, do you think you and other users would be willing to update them with your experiences?

Thanks,
Mat

Do you find the T&T pages useful?

Yes — it at least gave me an idea of what flags to look for that should be changed. Especially since I wanted to optimize for a particular processor (scientifc computing on one cluster). Also, they are most useful for code that isn’t well documented. I don’t think I had any problems with netCDF, but I did with WRF. FWIW, flags I did end up using:
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran
CFLAGS= -tp amd64
FFLAGS=-w -V

And I tend to just use these flags now. I never had to do much with flags before, so this was useful.

It might have actually been a post on here that suggested that set of flags to me, since they seem different from what is in T&T.

Are there any other community codes that we should add?

Ha, anything that is a curse to install!

If we Wikified them, do you think you and other users would be willing to update them with your experiences?

Maybe. I suspect that some people are scared of wikis, though. I think it would depend on how it was set up.