USB cable not working with Xavier NX only

Hi everyone,

I bought a USB camera (Arducam 16MP Autofocus USB Camera for Computer with Microphone, 1/2.8" IMX298 Mini UVC USB2.0 4K Video Webcam, with 3.3ft/1m Cable for Windows, Linux, Android and Mac OS), and it works well with my Xavier NX.
But I needed to change the USB cable (for a shorter one with 90° connector), and he camera is not recognized anymore with this new cable.
The problem is that this cable works well with my computer (windows and linux), any idea ?
dmesg shows :
[ 7079.656394] usb 1-2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 7079.735424] usb 1-2.1: new high-speed USB device number 15 using tegra-xusb
[ 7079.735662] usb 1-2.1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 7079.943665] usb 1-2.1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 7080.155540] usb 1-2.1: device not accepting address 15, error -71
[ 7080.155812] usb 1-2-port1: attempt power cycle
[ 7082.536425] usb 1-2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 7082.615484] usb 1-2.1: new high-speed USB device number 17 using tegra-xusb
[ 7083.468464] usb 1-2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 7083.468731] usb 1-2-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

Thanks

It sounds like a signal quality issue. RF signal quality is a complicated topic, but what it comes down to is that the entire route of the RF signal might be different in results from one computer to the next since layout differs among devices.

Probably the cable itself is more important than the camera for this case. Typically cables with full-sized connectors are designed for data and will mostly work, but cables which are “OTG” (charger) cables are highly likely to fail due to cheap construction (charger cables typically have at most 2 tiny copper strands to reduce cost). I’d say about 3 out of 4 “charger” cables fail to work correctly with sustained data. Slight changes to such a cable can cause this to work or fail. I know it isn’t convenient, but you might try another brand of cable with the right angle connector.

Thanks @linuxdev for your reply, I already have tested 3 different cables without success (and that last one has golden connections for low resistance), and only the cable that came with the camera is working. I have also tested the resistance of the wires which seems approximately the same (2-3 ohms)… I will try another new cable.

Just in case : any idea of a software solutions? Like increasing the power of the USB hub or anything else?

Hi Pelepicier,
I had the same error, my system was a NX on a carrier board connected to an USB hub connected to a USB camera.
My USB camera had an external power supply and powering it up solved this issue, using power supply of the hub also worked.

Basically I’d suggest the same as what @Bazziil just mentioned. Not sure power is the issue, but often it is. External power is probably one of the first things to test, and adding a HUB in between could also work to improve signal quality.

Thanks @Bazziil and @linuxdev . I found the solution!
I’ve tried to use power my cam with the GPIO without success, and also tried 2 new cables (every time cut and soldered to the specific connector of the camera), nothing worked. So I thought “let’s keep the original and make it shorter”, and after a small operation this one didn’t work anymore… I used a little bit my brain and realized that the part of the cable outside of the magnetic shielding was longer after my soldering operations than on the “non customized” cables.
Then I put some copper tape on the naked cable, and now every cable work perfectly! Just a question of magnetic field…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.