USB Re-Driver

I would have USB2 and USB3 devices attached to my system, using ‘A’ type connector.
Can I connect them directly (or using series capacitors) to the port, or that I need any IC with signal re-drive?

Not an answer, but some information related to this…

USB always has a “device” at one end, which uses a type-B connector. The host end is always a type-A connector. In special cases, such as USB-C, or micro-OTG, this is still true, but extra wiring detects and handles those cases as if one end is pure type-A and the other type-B, without exception.

If your device has a type-A on that end, then something is wrong since only a host can use that type.

Some of the cable length standards are due to latencies, and not due to signal quality. Exceeding the maximum length, even with very high quality cabling, would be expected to fail due to signal timings. USB bridge chips can be used for length issues (or other special bridges).

I do not know why you would use a capacitor, but in all likelihood (especially above USB1.1 speeds) this would cause failure.

Thanks.
I might missed a very important word: ‘on board’

"<u><i>I would have USB2 and USB3 devices attached to my system, using 'A' type connector <b>on board</b>.</i></u>"

In the reference design, there’s USB-C, and there’s U522 TUSB1046-DCIRNQR, which has multiple features, switching between USB and DP and acts as a re-driver.

I’m not having USB-C, so I would like to know if USB-Re-driver is required for operation with the Xavier SOM.

That’s one someone else will need to answer. I am unable to suggest what hardware modifications would work.

Hi ishay,

If you are designing a custom carrier board, you can refer to the OEM DG in DLC for the lane mapping configurations of USB/PCIe. There are USB2.0 and type-c ports on dev kit which is fixed design.

Thanks.

The issue is not configuration, but signal integrity.

I would like to know if I can directly connect USB3 devices to the SOM,or that need a device which does the signal re-drive.

I have managed to operate USB3 camera, but not sure that it works in USB3 mode.

Are you testing on dev kit? If so, only type-c ports are available.

In a carrier which I’ve design, I would like to know if I can directly connect USB3 devices to the SOM,or that I need a device which does the signal re-drive.

Yes, only need to follow lane mapping in OEM DG.

Thanks.