Use Jetson Nano Micro USB port as a Host

Hello,

I would like to ask, if there is a possibility to use Micro USB port of Jetson Nano as a USB Host and not as a device? According to user guide: https://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/jetson/Nano/docs/NVIDIA_Jetson_Nano_Developer_Kit_User_Guide.pdf?DJgOFi2dOU8mfiOADEynyMZXB_DuBIeJ7n9JJgKhaDGXzJ1_PQQ7fmeD42REh7AtDSRJZiaBPJl3xOZ00RiqklR6PYTw6OIFi8u94GBsboP8DVqhxirIhIqVcnZfRNege0WaTf0gyeZ0RLHHu82h6sDhQjan0ZRbF3C-37y9zAG2uyJEBdtCtfN-WtgSkHUSxaIhEhKh

1. If J48 pins are not connected, you can power the developer kit from a 5V⎓2A Micro-USB power supply
  2. If J48 pins are connected, operates in Device Mode.

So, is the second mentioned (J48 pins connected) possible to combine with operating in Host mode?

Thank you

Hi,
The micro USB port J28 can only work in device mode. Host mode is not supported in this port.

1 Like

Hi,

I have one additional question to this. I am designing my own carrier board. So I want to know if it is possible to design carrier board, which can use J28 port in host mode too (ID PIN = LOW).

Thanks for reply.

Hi,
We don’t support J28 running in host mode. It is only supported to be run in device mode. Please consider to have a Type-A port for host mode.

1 Like

Hi, I am dealing with the same issue on my custom carrier board, but I am little confused now.

In Jetson_Nano_Module_Pinmux_Config_Template.xlsm document is stated that pins 109/111 can be used as USB 2.0 Micro AB.

109- USB0_DN / USB 2.0 Port 0 Data– / USB 2.0 Micro AB
111- USB0_DP / USB 2.0 Port 0 Data+ / USB 2.0 Micro AB

So is that information incorrect and USB0 Port can by configured only as the B side (device) port even with the right A-type connector ?

Thanks for reply.

Regards,

Tomas Vrsansky

The connector is micro-AB, but the controller attached is device mode only.

Hi,
For more information, please share why you need micro AB port in your usecase. For OTG function, more devices use type C port now.

Hi,

I get a question related to this topic:

In the HW design guide doc I’ve read that : “USB0 must be available to use as USB Device for USB Recovery Mode.”

May we use the USB0 port (J28) as slave device (device mode) connected to a HOST computer (ARM board) ?
Just to transfer data from HOST to JNN.
Or must we keep this port available for the recovery usage only ?

regards
Bernard FROMENT

Hi bf,
We have required files in

/opt/nvidia/l4t-usb-device-mode/

If you boot to Ubuntu desktop and then connect to a Host PC(x86 and Ubuntu OS), the guidance should pop up.

I have a similar question, but with the Jetson NX. I have a custom board and would like to use USB0 as a host to plug in a USB camera instead of a debug port. Is this possible? Can I modify the device tree to get this working? I have other things plugged into the other USB devices and would like to avoid having to have a USB hub. Having an ID pin for this would have been really nice.

Hi ocampo,

Please help to open a new topic for your issue, we will support you via there, thanks.

Hello, @DaneLLL

What are device mode and host mode here?
I know that the micoroUSB port is only for installing the OS (flashing), can I understand it this way?

Thank you.

Hi,
When Jetson Nano is booted, if you connect Nano to a x86 host PC(Windows OS or Ubuntu OS), you can see Nano run in USB device mode and a README pops up.

Please give it a try and check the README.

1 Like

You couldn’t plug a keyboard into that port, but you could plug the Nano into another computer and the Nano would pretend to be a device (such as the mass storage device demonstrated by the README which @DaneLLL mentions).

Most OTG ports can be used in either device mode (with the micro-B USB connected) or in host mode (with a micro-A USB connected), but no hardware was set up for use as host mode on this model.

1 Like