Use ncu gui remote launch kernel

I tried to use ncu gui in windows to remote analyzed CUDA kernel in linux server.

When i click launch, some errors were encountered, output as follows:

It seems that ncu gui don’t have permission to access GPU resources.

The user does not have permission to access NVIDIA GPU Performance Counters on the target device 0.

But i can run cuda kernel in Linux server without root. How to solver it?

Hi, @Rookie_programmer

When you say “i can run cuda kernel in Linux server without root.”
-----Do you mean run the sample directly or run it with ncu ?

Please try ncu ${sample} directly on your linux machine. Suppose you should also see the error.
Please refer NVIDIA Development Tools Solutions - | NVIDIA Developer

Hi, @veraj

I tried ncu ${sample} directly on your linux machine. I did see the error again.

I tried two methods provided by NVIDIA Development Tools Solutions - | NVIDIA Developer. It doesn’t work.

1. To allow access for any user, run modprobe nvidia NVreg_RestrictProfilingToAdminUsers=0
  1. To allow access for any user, create a file with the .conf extension containing options nvidia NVreg_RestrictProfilingToAdminUsers=0 in /etc/modprobe.d. Then reboot.

I see the method provided by NVIDIA Development Tools Solutions - | NVIDIA Developer only support windows, mac and Linux Desktop, dose is not support Linux server without GUI?

I can successful run ncu command in sudo with absolute path, but with ncu GUI in my windows host, i can’t remote launch it with root, how to solver it ?

There is a note as below:

• On Ubuntu systems, when installing via the distro-native packages, the kernel module is renamed from nvidia to nvidia-xxx, and then nvidia is aliased to nvidia-xxx, where xxx is the major number of the driver. So, a 418.67 driver would use nvidia-418.

How do you install the driver ?

Hi, the document can fix that error, but I missed some key step at first, thanks.

Glad to hear about this !