Use of math.h calls inside an OpenACC region, C++

Hello, I am trying to write a MEX function calculating the sinc() function of a matrix using C++ and OpenACC.

This is my first shoot at OpenACC, and I meet some problems since It seems to be hard for OpenACC to call the usual sin() function. How do I solve this? I have tried googling and searching this forum for advices without any particular luck, so I chose to post a new post.

The main problem of interest in this post is how I may use a sine function without generatig an error stating:
"Accelerator restriction: function/procedure calls are not supported
Loop not vectorized/parallelized: contains call "

Also I wonder if it is a big problem that the compiler is not given the sice of the matrix at compile time. A mystical message in this regard is:
" Loop without integer trip count will be executed in sequential mode
Accelerator region ignored"

Complete code:

//newSinc.cpp
#include "mex.h"
#include "matrix.h"
#include "math.h"
#include <complex>
using namespace std;

#define ompWORKFLOW guided  //Open MP schedule() setting -affects all calls

#ifdef _OPENMP
#include "omp.h"
#else
#define omp_get_thread_num() 0
#endif

#ifdef _OPENACC
#include "openacc.h"
#endif

void mexFunction(int nlhs, mxArray *plhs[], int nrhs, const mxArray *prhs[]){
    /*The C++ MEX function "newSinc(x)" takes a matrix as input argument and computes the sinc(x)
     *value of any input element sinc(x.). */
//Validation of inputs:
    if (nlhs!=1){
        mexErrMsgIdAndTxt("Toolbox:complexSinc:nlhs","only one output is allowed");
    };
    if (nrhs!=1){
        mexErrMsgIdAndTxt("Toolbox:complexSinc:nrhs","only one input matrix is allowed");
    };
    //Declaration of variables
    const double pi = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751;
    const mxArray * __restrict__ input=prhs[0];

complex<double> argument;
    complex<double> I=complex<double>(0.0,1.0);

double * __restrict__ xInRe=NULL;
    double * __restrict__ xInIm=NULL;
    double * __restrict__ xOutRe=NULL;
    double * __restrict__ xOutIm=NULL;
    bool IsComplex=mxIsComplex(input);
    //Extracting dimmensions from the input Matrix:
    mwSize ndim;
    const mwSize *dims;
    dims=mxGetDimensions(input);
    ndim=mxGetNumberOfDimensions(input);
    const mwSize totalMatrixSize=mxGetNumberOfElements(input);
    //Creating output Matrix:
    mxClassID classid=mxDOUBLE_CLASS;
    mxComplexity ComplexFlag;
    if (IsComplex){
        ComplexFlag=mxCOMPLEX;
    }else{
        ComplexFlag=mxREAL;
    };
    plhs[0]=mxCreateNumericArray(ndim, dims, classid,ComplexFlag);
    //Directing pointers;
    xInRe=mxGetPr(input);
    xOutRe=mxGetPr(plhs[0]);
    if (IsComplex){
        xInIm=mxGetPi(input);
        xOutIm=mxGetPi(plhs[0]);
    };
    //Performing calculations on every element in the Matrix:
#pragma omp parallel for private(argument) shared(pi,xInRe,xInIm,xOutRe,xOutIm) schedule(ompWORKFLOW) //openMP call

#pragma acc enter data copyin(pi, totalMatrixSize, xInRe[0:totalMatrixSize], xInIm[0:totalMatrixSize]) create(argument)    
    if (IsComplex){
#pragma acc parallel loop private(argument)
        for (int i=0;i<totalMatrixSize;i++){
            if((xInRe[i]==0)&&(xInIm[i]==0)){
                xOutRe[i]=1;//if x=0, sinc(x)=1.
                xOutIm[i]=0;
            }else{
                argument=(xInRe[i]+xInIm[i]*I)*pi;
                argument=sin(argument)/argument;
                xOutRe[i]=real(argument);
                xOutIm[i]=imag(argument);
            };
        };
    }else{
#pragma acc parallel loop
        for (int i=0;i<totalMatrixSize;i++){
            if(xInRe[i]==0){
                xOutRe[i]=1;//if x=0, sinc(x)=1.
            }else{
                xOutRe[i]=sin(pi*xInRe[i])/(pi*xInRe[i]);
            };
        };
    };
#pragma acc exit data copyout(xOutRe[0:totalMatrixSize], xOutIm[0:totalMatrixSize])  
    return;
};

-Minfo output is:

mex ACC_sinc_source.cpp
PGCC-S-0155-Accelerator region ignored; see -Minfo messages (/opt/pgi/linux86-64/14.3/include/CC/stl/_complex.h: 71)
mexFunction:
37, std::complex::complex(double, double) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (348)
38, std::complex::complex(double, double) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (348)
71, Generating enter data create(argument)
Generating enter data copyin(xInIm[:totalMatrixSize])
Generating enter data copyin(xInRe[:totalMatrixSize])
Generating enter data copyin(totalMatrixSize)
Generating enter data copyin(pi)
Loop without integer trip count will be executed in sequential mode
Accelerator region ignored
73, Accelerator restriction: size of the GPU copy of ‘xOutIm’ is unknown
Accelerator restriction: size of the GPU copy of ‘xOutRe’ is unknown
Accelerator restriction: size of the GPU copy of ‘xInIm’ is unknown
Accelerator restriction: size of the GPU copy of ‘xInRe’ is unknown
Accelerator restriction: function/procedure calls are not supported
Loop not vectorized/parallelized: contains call
78, std::complex std::operator *(const T1 &, const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=4 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (675)
676, std::complex::complex(double, double) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3, file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (348)
78, std::complex std::operator +(const T1 &, const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=4 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (655)
656, std::complex::complex(double, double) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3, file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (348)
78, std::complex std::operator (const std::complex &, const T1 &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=4 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (680)
681, std::complex::complex(double, double) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3, file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (348)
78, std::complex::operator =(const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (439)
79, std::complex std::operator /(const std::complex &, const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=6 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (721)
722, std::complex::complex(double, double) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3, file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (348)
79, std::complex::operator =(const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=3 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (439)
79, Accelerator restriction: unsupported call to ‘sin__3stdFRCQ2_3std16complex__tm__2_d’
80, T1 std::real(const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=2 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (768)
81, T1 std::imag(const std::complex &) [with T1=double] inlined, size=2 (inline) file ACC_sinc_source.cpp (773)
84, Accelerator kernel generated
86, #pragma acc loop gang, vector(256) /
blockIdx.x threadIdx.x */
84, Generating present_or_copyin(xInRe[:totalMatrixSize])
Generating present_or_copyin(xOutRe[:totalMatrixSize])
95, Generating exit data copyout(xOutIm[:totalMatrixSize])
Generating exit data copyout(xOutRe[:totalMatrixSize])
PGCC/x86 Linux 14.3-0: compilation completed with severe errors

mex: compile of ’ “ACC_sinc_source.cpp”’ failed.

My compile line is:

/opt/pgi/linux86-64/14.3/bin/pgcpp -c -I/usr/local/MATLAB/R2013a/extern/include -I/usr/local/MATLAB/R2013a/simulink/include -DMATLAB_MEX_FILE -Mnoframe -fPIC -largeArrayDims -acc -ta=nvidia -Mcuda=fastmath -Minfo=all -Minline -fast -silent -use_fast_math -DMX_COMPAT_32 -O3 -DNDEBUG “ACC_sinc_source.cpp”

Hi Haakon,

These errors are coming from the use of “complex” in a compute region. We’re in the process of adding better support for C++ in general to the 14.4 release, but STL support is a longer term project.

I added an RFE for “complex” (TPR#20169) but in the mean time, you’ll need to not use complex inside an accelerator compute region.

Thanks,
Mat

OK.

Thanks for the reply!

Does this mean that the ACC suite does not cover any form of complex datatypes in C++ or is there some other way to representate complex numbers and still use ACC with PGI. Can I use cudaComplex, and functions from the cuda math library inside the ACC region for example?

For this function it is easy enough to inline the math, but in bigger problems I suspect it will make a very messy code.

-Håkon

Hi Haakon,

Correct, right now OpenACC can’t handle C++ complex data types since they are a STL and not a fundamental data type. My hope is that we can get to point where the entire STL is ported to OpenACC, but this will take time and may require the “deep-copy” problem be solved. The OpenACC standards committee is currently in the process of defining how to perform deep-copies. Note that I started yesterday on scoping the work required to port the STL, beginning with Vector.

As for using cudaComplex, I have not tried this. If it was a routine, it would be straight forward, but since it’s a data type, I think we’d need to do some compiler work and/or able to include CUDA header files. Right now CUDA only accepts GNU and CL as host compilers, but since PGI is now part of NVIDIA, we’re working on changing this.

One thought would be to create a CUDA library that you could call from your MEX routine. That defeats the purpose of using OpenACC, but would be a work-around.

Or, how about using Fortran? Complex is a fundamental data type in Fortran and can be used in OpenACC compute regions.

• Mat

Yes Fortran is a good alternative.

I will consider that. Or just learning CUDA directly.

Thank you!