Use picamera on Jetson Nano using python for face recognition

Hello!

I used https://www.pyimagesearch.com/2018/09/24/opencv-face-recognition/?submitted_comment=1#comment-540550, an example for facial recognition, and all work great until I try to recognize a face using videostream. The issue is that picamera module it’s optimized just for Raspberry Pi and I don’t know how to modify the .py for my Jetson Nano.

Any idea?

mxt@mxt-desktop:~/jetson-inference/opencv-face-recognition$ python recognize_video.py --detector face_detection_model \
> --embedding-model openface_nn4.small2.v1.t7 \
> --recognizer output/recognizer.pickle \
> --le output/le.pickle
[INFO] loading face detector...
[INFO] loading face recognizer...
[INFO] starting video stream...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "recognize_video.py", line 49, in <module>
    vs = VideoStream(usePiCamera=True).start()
  File "/home/mxt/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imutils/video/videostream.py", line 13, in __init__
    from .pivideostream import PiVideoStream
  File "/home/mxt/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imutils/video/pivideostream.py", line 2, in <module>
    from picamera.array import PiRGBArray
ImportError: No module named picamera.array

It seems like you could be able to set “userPiCamera” to False in that function call, and maybe that will use the standard /dev/video interface?

However, you need to be able to write and debug programs in your chosen language (Python or C++) to be able to develop effective solutions on top of the Jetson product line (or any other embedded computer systems.) I recommend you spend some time learning and practicing writing, reading, and debugging Python code if you want to be successful in this area.

Hi, ionut.chirilus

I try to install picamera with this command:

$ pip install PiCamera

But the installation goes failed with this message:

File "/tmp/pip-install-waxfzpx0/PiCamera/setup.py", line 111, in run
        raise ValueError('Unable to determine if this system is a Raspberry Pi')
    ValueError: Unable to determine if this system is a Raspberry Pi

It looks like piCamera doesn’t support Jetson platform yet.
It’s recommended to check this with the piCamera developer to see if they can support Jetson or not first.

Thanks.

Thanks guys!

@ionut.chirilus Has there been found a solution for this? I am facing the exact same problem.