Using a board with a new Host

Hello! This is my first post to this forum. I recently purchased a TX1 dev board and have a question concerning the Host where I first used JetPack.

How can I use a different Host but the same Target? Do I need to re-run JetPack on the new host? I don’t want to have to re-flash the board. It takes a long time to get everything set up the way I like it.

Thank you for your help!

mar0029

JetPack is a front end to both flash and extra packages. Flash can be unchecked. Extra packages can be added or configured at any time on any Ubuntu 14.04 host via JetPack without flash. Packages can also be added or configured from any Ubuntu 14.04 host to any Jetson if the Jetson has networking running.

You would run JetPack on any host you want to install development tools to, e.g., CUDA and nsight. Simply check just those items.

Flash itself can be run on command line without JetPack if you choose (the advantage is the host has no requirement to be Ubuntu 14.04…any x86_64 Linux host can flash).

So when I run JetPack on the new Host, with out flashing the board, my directory at …/64_TX1/Linux_for_Tegra_64_tx1/ is empty. How can I maintain the rootfs if it isn’t installed with JetPack when not flashed? Should I rsync the entirety of the board to rootfs?

EDIT:
I see now. When installing, I can select whether or not I want to flash the target.

JetPack can download current software…when you run JetPack it can fill in those missing parts automatically. If you flash on command line, then the rootfs directory needs to be set up manually (using sudo you’d unpack the sample rootfs and run apply_binaries.sh…this is still done in JetPack, but you don’t see it happen). The Jetson itself arrives with a working rootfs (video configuration may fail, but everything needed for it to work is there).

Note that unless you flash there is no need for anything in the Linux_for_Tegra directory…this is the driver package location (plus rootfs), and software package maintenance never needs this. You can flash once, and this should be updated. You can also manually download the sample rootfs (currently at https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-r2421) if desired. I always use command line flash, so I download driver package plus sample rootfs and I’m done for the case of flash (add a bit of command line arcane magic to that).