Using another video card as display, to avoid the "dispaly not responding" error.

Hi, I am making CUDA accelerated MEX files for matlab. They work find and execution times go from hours to seconds on gtx 260.

However, sometimes teh execution times (depending on image sizes and correlation window sizes) exceed the limit where
“display stopped responding”. And thus I need to reboot. Pretty annoying.

So I bought a new pc with 2 PCIe x16 slots, and put in a basic ATI radeon 3450, running teh display off that one, instead of the gtx260, which I want to run the cuda on.
However, it doesnt work now. The same functions that work when the gtx260 is main display card.

I read that the program should be detecting that hte primary display cant run cuda, but it will try to use teh 2nd card then. Apparently this self awareness doesnt happen in my case.
Also the SDK programs report theres no cuda device. What am I doing wrong?

You can disable TDR in registry.

Or run it on Linux without X. I had the same problem.

Or run it on Linux without X. I had the same problem.

Thanks for responses.

I tihnk I will rephrase my question:

When running primary display on a ATI card, How do I tell my CUDA MEX function to use the NVIDIA card as its CUDA processor?

I noticed that I really do have problem to use graphics card on other slot too. It is not working only when I activate it as PhysX.

So with my GTX295 and 9800GTX I have to activate multigpu (because otherwise I see only 1 device from GTX295) and PhysX on 9800GTX. This must be some sort of bug or unwanted situation (I hope).

PS:
From NVIDIAs past behaviour I would incline to say that they do not want user is able to use CUDA if he/she has ATI graphics card, but this is only my speculation.

ok, I replaced the ati card with a cheap nvidia card and now it can find and select the good nvidia card for the cuda… so tehy did make some stupid limitation if your primary display is not nvidia… aaarrgghh…

too bad I cant be bothered to learn the ati processing sdk…

ok, I replaced the ati card with a cheap nvidia card and now it can find and select the good nvidia card for the cuda… so tehy did make some stupid limitation if your primary display is not nvidia… aaarrgghh…

too bad I cant be bothered to learn the ati processing sdk…

OK, before we jump on NVIDIA for this, can you at least tell us which operating system you are using? Some versions of Windows (I can’t keep track anymore) do not allow you to load more than one video driver at a time. This would also prevent you from being able to use an ATI and NVIDIA card at the same time.

OK, before we jump on NVIDIA for this, can you at least tell us which operating system you are using? Some versions of Windows (I can’t keep track anymore) do not allow you to load more than one video driver at a time. This would also prevent you from being able to use an ATI and NVIDIA card at the same time.