Using Matlab with Jetson AGX Orin, nvcc not found by Matlab checking

Hello,
First I’m asking for your indulgence, i’m new in this topic a.k.a Jetson Orin.

I’m working on a project that aims to classify the different type of modulation.
This project is based on Matlab. We generate and deploy a CUDA executable that performs modulation classification.

At some point we create a hardware live connection to enable the communication between the PC hosting Matlab and the Jetson. By creating this connection, a hardware and software check is done.

My problem is that Matlab is unable to found ‘nvcc’ on the path system of the Jetson. To solve this I modified the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables on the .bashrc file (according to this conversation: Unable to find 'nvcc' - MATLAB Answers - MATLAB Central ) :

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/cuda/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/cuda/lib64

reloaded it but i still have the same problem.

I guess CUDA is installed because when I do nvcc --version i have :

nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2022 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Wed_May__4_00:02:26_PDT_2022
Cuda compilation tools, release 11.4, V11.4.239
Build cuda_11.4.r11.4/compiler.31294910_0

Moreover i checked the Jetson AGX Orin GPU Capability with : nvida-smi --list-gpus but i got the error:
Command not found.

I’m really confused, i don’t understand if i have CUDA installed or not.
My JetPack version is:

Package: nvidia-jetpack
Version: 5.0.1-b118
Architecture: arm64
Maintainer: NVIDIA Corporation
Installed-Size: 194
Depends: nvidia-jetpack-runtime (= 5.0.1-b118), nvidia-jetpack-dev (= 5.0.1-b118)

I would really appreciated your help.

Thank you

Célia

Hi @csekajob, Jetson doesn’t have nvidia-smi, so that is to be expected and doesn’t mean that you don’t have CUDA Toolkit installed (it appears that you do). You could always try compiling/running the CUDA deviceQuery sample to check the GPU drivers are working as well.

As far as MATLAB goes, since you’ve already set the environment paths, I’m not sure what the issue is - you may want to contact MATLAB support about it. Is the version of MATLAB GPU Coder you are using compatible with JetPack 5?

Thank you for your answer.

I tried to launch the deviceQuery sample , by typing:
$make
in the sample directory of CUDA.
I think it complied because now i have a deviceQuery.o
I have the following result for the deviceQuery

Regarding the compatibility of GPU Coder and JetPack5 i don’t know. Indeed, i have a Jetson AGX Orin and when i check the compatibility it says "GPU Coder supports NVIDIA Jetson platform, including the TK1, TX1, TX2, AGX Xavier, Nano, and Xavier NX Developer kits. It also supports the NVIDIA DRIVE platform " .
No Orin listed, but i can’t say whether it is because the Orin is new so the site hasn’t been updated or it truly not compatible.

Hello again,

I continued my research and i found out that for the example i’m working on the MATLAB GPU Coder Support Package for NVIDIA Jetson and NVIDIA Driver Platforms works with Jetson Xavier NX, AGX Xavier, TX2/TX1, nano with JetPack 4.5.1.

I guess the Jetson AGX Orin is too new to have the site updated.

My question is, can I and should I downgrade my JetPack version in order to have this functional. And if I downgrade it, what could be the consequences ?

Hi @csekajob, JetPack 5.0 is the first version of JetPack to support Jetson AGX Orin, so you can’t downgrade it to JetPack 4.x because it doesn’t support Orin. I would contact MATLAB Support to see what their timeline is for supporting the Jetson Orin boards.

Thanks again for your quick answers.

I’ve contacted Matlab for more information.

Thank you again for your help

Hello,

for anyone having the same problem, here is the answer of Matworks support:

The Jetson AGX is not supported by Matlab for now. They may considering adding support but they cannot give me a definitive answer regarding if or when that will be available

Célia

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.