Using Nsight Visual Studio Edition 4.2 from a Target to Host PC

I am trying to use Nsight for analyzing a DirectX11 application on PC side.

** Since, the application occupies the entire screen and I want to use Frame Profiler for a captured frame, I need to use a host (any PC)-target (Nvidia GPU PC) setup right? Can I somehow do that as localhost on target itself?

** What type of project I need to start with? Does it really matter since I am only working with exe file of the application and do not have the source code.

** On trying to use a host target system, the application exe is copied from host to target but is NOT being launched! Exception Nvda.Device.DeviceCommandFailure Exception is thrown. I have disabled TDR also. I have tried using ‘Trace Process Tree’ and enabled-disabled ‘Synchronize Files’ but nothing works.

** Moreover, on launching the same application as a localhost from the target PC, firstly the application is occupying the full screen and moreover the HUD is not showing, on doing ‘Ctrl+Z’ also, so I am not able to capture a frame

Please let me know what’s the issue!

Hi,

• It’s possible to use single machine to do frame debug/frame profiler
  • It’s fine to have only the exe files w/o source code
  • Can you try to run the exe on your target machine, make sure the synced exe can be run smoothly by manually double click? If not, check your host’s sync setting, make sure you have include all your files; If yes, check your host’s launch setting, make sure you set the prop working directory
  • Try to make your sample not run in full-screen if you want to do local frame debug/profiler, since the full screen sample will block you view about Nsight Host’s GUI.

Thanks
An

Hi

I found the way to make my application windowed so now I can frame profile on localhost. But the application itself is not launching. Please let me know if Nsight has some support issues with DirectX 11 apps.

Hi,

I am not sure about your question? are you mean your DX11 sample can’t launch by Nsight? What do you mean ‘now I can frame profiler on localhost’ and ‘the application itself is not launching’?

Thanks
An

Hi, I cannot launch the DX11 application on Nsight Visual Studio 4.2. Is it because that is 64 bit app? Should I try a 32 bit version?

Does Frame Profiler not work in case of a DX11 workload? I am NOT able to get the bottleneck graphs and bandwidth values for DX11 workloads since the Frame Profiler option is not coming up in NSIGHT -> Windows -> menu. I am only getting those for OpenGL workload. Let me know what’s the issue!

Hi,

No, D3D11 and OGL works both fine in Nsight. Do you try to use DXSDK’s dx11 sample for some confirm? It works fine here.

What is your system’s information? like OS, GPU, driver, etc.

Thanks
An