VM Passthrough of MHQH19B-XTR

Solaris inbox driver can support all of CX-1,2 HCAs.

What’s your Solaris VM’s storage controller?

If you configure with SAS controller with your Solaris VM then you’ll see a boot up hang.

vSphere Solaris VM can support Parallel SCSI controller only!

xlx01 Infrastructure & Networking - NVIDIA Developer Forums - Just as a data point, some people with a different model card have found that disabling vt-D can let this magically work. Might be worth a shot to try out, just to see if it makes a difference.

So I tested with my Solaris VM and it still hangs when booting…although WS 2012 boots up fine. Not sure what’s the difference here?

BTW I didn’t find a yellow mark in WS 2012 Device Manager. It works fine and I can ping the other end (using IPoIB).

Anyway this is a big step towards a solution!

MB: Supermicro X9SRA

CPU: Intel E5-1650

RAM: 64GB ECC Registered

Hypervisor: ESXi 5.1.0 build 1065491

BIOS: Intel vt-D enabled, not sure about SR-IOV but I think ESXi 5.1 does not support it

IB: MELLANOX MHQH19B-XTR, Revision Id B0, FW 2.9.1200

Mellanox ConnectX (MT26428) - PCIe 2.0 5GT/s, IB QDR / 10GigE Network Adapter

Passed through with “passthru.map”:

"

15b3 673c bridge false

"

VMs: WS 2012, Solaris 11.1

• Not vendor product

someone not me marked the correct answer??? this is a big step forward but has not solved my problem yet…

I’m provisioning a Linux VM now and see if it works.

so Linux (lubuntu) works fine without the maxMSIXvectors overwrite.

On the other hand I tested with an OpenIndiana 151a8 VM and it also hangs at boot, similar to the Solaris 11.1 VM.

EDIT: Tested with Solaris 10 u8 with the same problem.

Actually I made it working! Just need to upgrade to Solaris 11.1.12.5.0. Not sure how OpenIndiana will tackle this.

EDIT: Now come to think more of this it may be that ConnectX-2 is not supported in the original Solaris 11.1 release (and all releases before it).