VR 180 for webXR

What’s the best way of rendering a 180 degree video for meta Quest / xrbrowser?

Hello @garrett7! I don’t think we have specific rendering recommendations per device, because there are so many devices to choose from and we don’t know what you are trying to render. Take a look at our documentation for Render Settings and our list of common rendering settings. Hopefully this will help you to determine what your refresh rate and render resolution should be adjusted to. I suggest playing around with the settings to determine the best results for your situation then saving it as a preset.

In case this helps, according to meta’s website:

• Refresh rate: The number of times your Meta Quest 2 screen updates with new images each second. You can set your refresh rate to 72 Hz, 80 Hz, or 90 Hz.
  • Render Resolution: Adjusts the resolution that the app or game you’re using is being rendered at. The maximum render resolution you can set is 5408 x 2736.

Improved visuals vs performance
Keep in mind, while increasing your refresh rate and render resolution will result in improved visuals, these adjustments could have a negative impact on overall performance. Even with some of the newest and most powerful GPUs, maxing out values for the render resolution slider with a 90 Hz refresh rate may result in dropped or missing frames, which creates a less smooth in-VR experience.

Thanks Wendy,
This is more what I was looking for, but for Omniverse Create, not Unity. How do you render stereoscopic out of omniverse? Ideally I’d be able to hit render either from a pre-rigged camera set up (Left and Right eye with correct distance between them) and output directly to Oculus (meta) TV - but there’s no solution in omniverse for XR native rendering that I can see.

Hey @garrett7, you can render spherical cameras out of Omniverse Create with the Movie Capture tool. You’ll need to setup your cameras accordingly.

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/app_view/prod_materials-and-rendering/cameras.html

There are no built in options for stereoscopic setups, so you’ll need an additional tool like Nuke in your pipeline to generate the final stereo video.

1 Like

thank you so much for this. Any idea how far apart the cameras should be for stereo?

Typically, you want the cameras as far apart as your eyes. The simplest answer would be to place them about 70 mm apart. I have not done this in over a decade, but there are other considerations. You might try to google for more information.

1 Like