VRAM vendor name and VRAM type, e.g. "Samsung" and "GDDR6"

Hi Nvidia,
Is it possible to get VRAM vendor name (like “Samsung”) and VRAM type (like “GDDR6”) by NVAPI since the version R430, which is the oldest archive of NVAPI on your website, or through any other API of Nvidia ?

As far as I know, the NVAPI in 2012 might support that, but that was outdated, e.g., GDDR6 was not in the enumeration of VRAM type. I don’t know since when the NVAPI has hidden the info.

I know the non-open-source software like GPU-Z and HWiNFO can show those information. So, I suppose they use non-public API from your side to get the info (or any indirect hacking method). Can you support the non-public API to customers, so we can get them ?

Thank you,

0x42AEA16A = NvAPI_Status NvAPI_GPU_GetRamMaker(NvPhysicalGpuHandle handle, NV_GPU_RAM_MAKER* maker)

NV_GPU_RAM_MAKER =

UNKNOWN(0),
    SAMSUNG(1),
    QIMONDA(2),
    ELPIDA(3),
    ETRON(4),
    NANYA(5),
    HYNIX(6),
    MOSEL(7),
    WINBOND(8),
    ELITE(9),
    MICRON(10);

0x57F7CAAC = NvAPI_Status NvAPI_GPU_GetRamType(NvPhysicalGpuHandle handle, NV_GPU_RAM_TYPE* type)

NV_GPU_RAM_TYPE =

UNKNOWN(0),
    SDRAM(1),
    DDR1(2),
    DDR2(3),
    GDDR2(4),
    GDDR3(5),
    GDDR4(6),
    DDR3(7),
    GDDR5(8),
    LPDDR2(9),
    GDDR5X(10),
    GDDR6(14);

Appreciate that @BlueGoliath for the prompt reply, could you tell me which NVAPI version are you using ? I can’t even find the string, “NvAPI_GPU_GetRamType” in version R430 and R550.

Oh, I gotcha, do you mean I can just edit my old source of .h file to add the new enum item like GDDR6 ?

Yes. You will need cards with other memory to get those values. You can replace the enum with an int pointer or do a type cast to get the raw enum value.

1 Like

I will have it a try, then marking your answer as resolved.
Thanks a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.