Weird workaround to install Jetson TX1 card

Hi,

I want to point out a weird thing that I saw back when I installed my TK1 that is repeating now with the TX1 : if I simply add exec rights to the JetPack “install.run” file and launch the install process, I will eventually end up stuck at the login screen where it asks for the IP and the credentials of the remote card. SSHing the card works great.

What I have found is that I must launch the “install.run” as root, so I sudo it.

sudo ./jetpack_install.run

But then I get stuck in the middle where the login screen should appear (in fact it goes right to the end screen of the install). So I had to give 775 rights to all content of your jetpack install directory

sudo chmod -R 775 /yourjetpackinstalldir/

Only that allows me to get past the connect screen.

To avoid getting some libraries not installed correctly (https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/920696/jetson-tx1/error-cuda-cannot-be-installed-on-device/), double check to be on the same switch, not only the same network.

my experience was much different. i ran the installer from the directory that i wanted the package to install on the host. as directed i gave the package x right. then i ran the installer without sudo nor as root. i was asked twice for the password of the host. the installer never asked about the target. the installer was able to determine the target IP correctly and as far as i can determine installed everything correctly. i felt that the installer was much improved over the prior one but that might just be from having the experience of 3 installs to a tk1 and 2 installs to a tx1. although nothing was advertised as changed for the tk1 i did a new install for that also since i was thinking some of the changes might also update tk1. it all worked so well i’m puzzled why you had to alter a bunch.

Wish you had posted this 2 months ago! Thanks for sharing.

@dkryder : I had problems with my first install of the TX1, so I double checked everything and restarted from scratch. This time around I didn’t need to do all this sudo and chmod 775. Everything worked as advertised in the documentation. I don’t know why.

I remember that one time I tried the installation from my laptop, so the Wifi could have been the troublemaker. Avoid Wifi. But the other times I was installing with a local NETGEAR switch. Also never trust your company network, it can have weird settings. That’s why I asked to have a netgear switch on my desk.