What about a support of legacy driver ?

Hi devs
i know that you are more occupied with the new series of Geforce ; Could you add support of
VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_BASELINE
VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_CONSTRAINED_BASELINE
VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_EXTENDED
VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_PROGRESSIVE_HIGH
VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_CONSTRAINED_HIGH
into legacy drivers like geforce 200 series .
I thank you very much .

Mounir

Legacy driver branches only get security fixes, bug fixes and updated Linux kernel and Xorg ABI support no new features.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142/~/support-timeframes-for-unix-legacy-gpu-releases

Thank you blackout24 .
to insert this features is an important security and bug fix that nvidia should know .

Umm, how exactly is this a security or critical bug fix?

Also, it is actually possible to decode these profiles even though they’re reported as unsupported in the driver, because they’re subsets of other profiles that are supported.

It’s been some time since I’ve used a Nvidia card, so I’ll explain how it works on Intel. I’m very sure the same trick works on Nvidia. Anyway, on Intel the baseline profile is also reported as unsupported, and trying to play a baseline video with mpv, the player will fall back to software. But a simple override and voila, hardware decoding:

$ mpv Video/fanvids/Mal\'s\ Song.mp4
Playing: Video/fanvids/Mal\'s Song.mp4
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=und (*) (aac)
libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Using hardware decoding.
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
[b][vaapi] Decoder profile 'VAProfileH264Baseline' not available.
Hardware decoding failed, falling back to software decoding.[/b]
VO: [vaapi] 480x360 => 640x360 yuv420p

$ mpv --vd-lavc-check-hw-profile=no Video/fanvids/Mal\'s\ Song.mp4
Playing: Video/fanvids/Mal\'s Song.mp4
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=und (*) (aac)
libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
<b>Using hardware decoding.</b>
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [vaapi] 480x360 => 640x360 vaapi

Besides, the only baseline profile videos out there are youtube fmt 18 (that’s what the video in my example is), which isn’t actually a common format anymore. What you’ll mostly be encountering is main or high profile videos that decode in hardware without any overrides.

Also, I recall reading that only mpv is strict about profiles, that VLC for example isn’t, and probably other players aren’t either. Which means if you’re not using mpv, you don’t need to care about this stuff at all.

So yeah, not a critical bug, and definitely not a security issue. Just cosmetics that players aside from mpv don’t even care about.

The thing is, you’ve noticed you’re supposedly missing something only after reading the latest changelog. How come you didn’t notice anything before, when it’s supposedly so critical?