What is the good way to subscribe a ROS image and convert to Nvidia image types

Dear whom it may concern,

My situation is that I have a video player playing video, while this player publishs every frame in the video to the ROS as sensor_msgs/Image type. Then I will use my Xavier to subscribe the images and convert it to dwImageCUDA for DriveNet and LaneNet detection.

As we know the ROS sensor_msgs/Image has following memebers. I think it would be possible to extract the heigth/width/encoding/data into a dwImageCUDA or dwImageCPU format. But I cannot find a good approach to realize it.

std_msgs/Header header
uint32 height
uint32 width
string encoding
uint8 is_bigendian
uint32 step
uint8[] data

My code will look like this:

// Regardless of ros::init and ros::subscriber ....

// Here I am able to subscribe the image, then want to conver it to Nvidia image formats.
// The code is not real, so just let me know if the direction is correct or not.
void callback(sensor_msgs::Image msg)
{
dwImageHandle_t h;
dwImageCPU* imageCPU;
dwImageProperties prop; 
prop.heigth=msg.height;
prop.width=msg.width
prop.format = DW_IMAGE_FORMAT_RGBA_UINT8
prop.type= DW_IMAGE_CPU;

dwImage_create(&h, prop, context);
dwImage_getCPU(&imageCPU, h);

// Question1: Following the part to put ros image into imageCPU, but I don't know how.
imageCPU.data = msg.data??
imageCPU.pitch = ???

// Then use streamer from CPU to CUDA.

}

So, there are two questions here:

1. As indicated in the Question 1, what is the approperiate way to put an array into the image structure defined by Nvidia?
  2. My way is like ROS->imageCPU->imageCUDA. I even found opencv is required as a bridge which finally looks like this ROS->cv::Mat->imageCPU->imageCUDA. However, I wonder if there is any more straight forward to do this like ROS->imageCUDA?

Thanks for helping me out.
Best,
Hanyang

Dear hanyang.zhuang,

// Question1: Following the part to put ros image into imageCPU, but I don’t know how.
imageCPU.data = msg.data??

data holds pointer to CPU buffer. You can use CPU buffer pointer here.

You can use ImageStreamer to convert dwImageCPU to dwImageCUDA. Please check simple imagestreamer sample.

Alternative is to create dwImageCUDA manually by setting right parameters and copying the CPU memory buffers to GPU using CUDA memcpy API calls.

Please check below threads if it helps.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1047693/driveworks/convert-cv-mat-to-dwimagecpu/post/5378650/#5378650

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1068637/general/extracting-data-from-dwimagecpu-to-be-published-in-ros/