Why did my system experience severe screen flicker?

Hello,

I learned about this forum today, so apologies if the issue (below) has already been discussed.

For several months the image on my monitor experienced a problem that I can only describe as severe flickering when certain conditions were met when running under Ubuntu. The problem appears to have been fixed, thankfully, which I’m highly relieved by. Nonetheless I’m curious as to what happened. Was it a hardware problem or a software problem? Is it possible damage was done to my monitor, because of the problem?

All the details of the problem are in [url]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1653323[/url], including a video illustrating the problem. In brief the hardware is desktop with a GTX 1070 and a professional 30 inch Dell connected via DisplayPort.

Although I filed the report initially on Ubuntu 16.10, I also saw the problem in Ubuntu 17.04 until quite recently. Now it seems to have been fixed, either because of an update somewhere in the software stack or because something in my hardware changed (if the latter, I have no idea what that might be, because I haven’t made any changes to the hardware myself).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Damon Lynch