Why is Nvidia OpenCL closed?

Is it really in the spirit of openness to make CUDA available to all but demand a complex and multiple-week registration process for openCL?

Is it really in the spirit of openness to make CUDA available to all but demand a complex and multiple-week registration process for openCL?

OpenCL is an interface + an implementation. For the interface, there is no code to “open” really…

On the other hand, CUDA’s compiler is Open64 which is already an open-source project…

So… I really cannot understand your question, sorry.

OpenCL is an interface + an implementation. For the interface, there is no code to “open” really…

On the other hand, CUDA’s compiler is Open64 which is already an open-source project…

So… I really cannot understand your question, sorry.

The Nvidia implementation of OpenCL is only available to registered developers, and the registration process is horrible! There are dozens of companies with developer programmes that require minimal registration and grant immediate access to materials. They don’t say on the forms that approval might take weeks…

The Nvidia implementation of OpenCL is only available to registered developers, and the registration process is horrible! There are dozens of companies with developer programmes that require minimal registration and grant immediate access to materials. They don’t say on the forms that approval might take weeks…

What are you asking for exactly? If it’s just access to the SDK you want, Nvidia’s OpenCL 1.0 implementation is included in the CUDA toolkit, although I have to admit it wasn’t obvious where to find it going from their OpenCL page alone. All the references on the pages linked from there claim the SDK is available in the OpenCL toolkit, which doesn’t actually exist as far as I can tell.

What are you asking for exactly? If it’s just access to the SDK you want, Nvidia’s OpenCL 1.0 implementation is included in the CUDA toolkit, although I have to admit it wasn’t obvious where to find it going from their OpenCL page alone. All the references on the pages linked from there claim the SDK is available in the OpenCL toolkit, which doesn’t actually exist as far as I can tell.

Err, no it isn’t. The current CUDA toolkit contains the complete OpenCL “toolchain” (such as it is, OpenCL is JIT compiled), code exmaples, and the OpenCL runtime ships with all modern driver releases on both Windows and Linux. Everything you need is available for download here without any form of registration or access limitations.

Err, no it isn’t. The current CUDA toolkit contains the complete OpenCL “toolchain” (such as it is, OpenCL is JIT compiled), code exmaples, and the OpenCL runtime ships with all modern driver releases on both Windows and Linux. Everything you need is available for download here without any form of registration or access limitations.