Why not native OpenGL

Hi, I have a question about the implementation of openGL and EGL in argus mutimedia samples. I noticed most of the samples provided in argus multimedia api runs with the implementation of openGL and EGL. I wonder what would be the reason to choose this combination. Because everytime I get confused. When I refer native OpenGL it goes for EGL and when I refer EGL it goes for OpenGL. If this is any combined API please let me know, I may be new to that and please mention the advantages of using this combo or combined API over native OpenGL.

Thankyou

EGL is more like an interface that can communicate with local window system of device.

If you don’t use EGL on jetson, then there are alternatives.

However, we cannot guarantee they are all working fine on jetson.

Hi @WayneWWW
Why is there a need for communication. Why cant we use the native Opengl window to display any texture that was created using opengl. Does using EGLs producer consumer architecture provide any added advantage?

May I know what kind of native openGL window function call you want to use to draw something to the display?

@WayneWWW
Im using glutCreateWindow to create a window and glutDisplayFunc to display content in that window. I have a function named ‘display’ which I pass to the glutDisplayFunc which I have given below.

void display ()
{
glClearColor (0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0);
glClear (GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
glLoadIdentity();
gluLookAt (0.0, 0.0, 5.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
texture = LoadTexture( “hi1.png”, 1200, 900);
// glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
cube();
FreeTexture( texture );
}

However I get an distorted image when I did this. But still I’m curious about knowing why EGL and Opengl combination is used

Hi,

GLUT is just like another EGL which helps your handle the display sides stuff and it abstracts a lots so you just need to write some easy functions like “display()” and let it run.

However, we don’t know how GLUT handles those buffer with the window system since it is from 3rd party. Unlike EGL lib on tegra, which is optimized by us and compatible with tegra display controller.

Also, if you have some issue/bug when running application with EGL, it would be easier for us to handle.

1 Like

@WayneWWW
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.