Will this work

I have followed this tutorial in order to assemble my own jetbot, however I can’t solder the header onto the pioled display (due to lack of equipment and never soldiering before) however I connected the wires just like in the tutorial and the pioled and motor driver are close, just wondering is soldering required and will it work (see the image below)

That is unlikely to work. You’re talking about signals which have very sharp rise and fall times, which means they’re actually a combination of a lot of different frequencies (square waves are the infinite sum of odd harmonics; a perfect square wave is neither possible, nor desirable, but it is a quite sharp rise time). Any movement at all is going to destroy signal integrity.

I won’t say this is a good solution, but there is conductive epoxy (which is quite expensive). I hesitate to tell you to try to learn to solder on this. That particular board though is intended for either soldered wires, or soldering of a standard 0.1" spacing header (which then uses a simple and standard connector; the part crimped onto the wire is either a male or female “DuPont” connector…crimping those with the wrong tool is a pain, and the right tool is expensive).

You can get inexpensive blank boards similar to that to practice on if you want to learn to solder.

1 Like

Will this work since i have made the necessry changes that you hav siad (ignoring the fact that the motors are nto connected or there is no power)

I have no way to know. Wiring can be partially art. This might work. I would be concerned though about any connection which might produce noise. Noise, in turn, won’t generally be produced if the connection is physically secure, e.g., conductive epoxy, bolts, or solder. Do beware to not power the motors off the same battery as the Jetson, at least not directly. You’d want a proper power regulator from battery to Jetson in which the regulator does not power the motors, and the quality of regulation is sufficient even if motors cause power fluctuations.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, jus one more thing I have been able to solder the connecters for the motor driver, but was unable to for the gpioled display (after trying for some time) so will some conductive glue do a s a substitute when it comes o this stuff such as Conductive Wire Glue (on amazon) or is soldering the only way to do it (because then I will get some help)

Just keep in mind that GPIO does not produce enough current to power an LED directly. You must use a buffer to provide sufficient power to the LED.

Dont nonow how clear it is but will it work this is the funal version

Those connectors that use 0.1" spacing pins are DuPont connectors, and generally those will work. If there is vibration though, then they might still fail. I’d be worried about using that with a robot car that moves around and is not stationary.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.