Windows teaming and Cisco vPC

Hi all

I’ve not found much information on this, so I’m hoping someone has come across this before. I have a number of Mellanox X3 dual port 10gbe adapters and I’m connecting them to a pair of Cisco 3548’s configured with vPC and teaming set to Dynamic 802.3ad (two ports, one to each 3548). Initially, all seems fine - the ports come up and vPC consistency is successful, but if I disconnect a port, I lose all connectivity. Further, if I change to Static mode teaming with the ports up and active (channel-group 1 mode active), I get a BSOD.

Mellanox team1 has no default gateway

Mellanox team2 has a default gateway

With everything up, I can ping a device on team1’s subnet

After eth1/1 shutdown, I see:

one port channel go down

pings continue for a few seconds

pings stop, I get a response from the default gateway saying no route to host

If I try to ping the IP of team1, I get the same (no route to host from default gateway)

On windows I see one of the team interfaces down, but the team is still up

On the second Nexus 3548, I can see the port is up and consistent

My questions:

• if Windows says the team is up, if there is an issue with the switch config I would expect to see pings time out, not no route to host. Does this point to a driver/config issue in Windows?

• are there any recommendations for vCP config and mellanox cards?

• assuming LACP is preffered, what teaming mode should I use to enable LACP and not lose connectivity if one link goes down?

I’ve spent the better part of a day fighting with this, so any and all advice would be gratefully received!

Will

Hi Will,

I saw that you opened a support ticket with us on May 1st and the BSOD issue has been resolved after upgrading to winof 4.70

Did Will’s question ever get answered? I’m having issues with the ports in my vPC getting suspended and wondering about these 2 of his questions specifically as well.

• are there any recommendations for vCP config and mellanox cards?

• assuming LACP is preffered, what teaming mode should I use to enable LACP and not lose connectivity if one link goes down?