X.org crashes on Ubuntu 17.10 with driver nvidia-384 after upgrade

ok, so the issue was cause you’ve been connected via DVI/displayport?

I think you mean, “the issue wouldn’t have happened if I had been connected via the HDMI port.” I believe that is the case. However, it seems to be more of a side effect of upgrading to 17.10 since 17.04 supported headless install out of the box. Anyway, I really recommend the $6 dollar HDMI 4k headless dongle Amazon sells (kitKey or something like that). Works great.

my hdmi is connected to TV ;)

@burdandrei: please run nvidia-bug-report.sh and attach the tar.gz file it creates to your post. The output of journalctl -b0 --no-pager would be helpful, too. Run both as root.

And I’ll bet your TV is off a lot of times, no?

hmmmmm, so it makes even more problems?

I just reverted to 16.04 =)

Hi,

I am facing the same problem…My X.org crashed after updating ubuntu 17.1.My system freezes or crashes ten times a day.I have tried everything to rectify the problem as suggested like wayland settings un commented.I am als using my laptop with external display connected through HDMI, still the problem seems to be exists,I don’t know should be done done further…Please help me out…

@chandanlal18
this thread is about running gnome headless. Please open a new thread and run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root when issue hits, attach tar.gz file it creates to your post.