Xavier boot loop after installing linuxptp

good day Nvidia, I have a problem with your Jetson Xavier product, steps to reproduce:

step 1: buy a jetson xavier
step 2: flash with latest jetpack
step 3: open a terminal
step 4: install ptp4l (sudo apt-get linuxptp)
step 5: reboot

result: continuous boot loop

note that I have tried the above process like 4 times. All boot loops, we have 2 different xaviers and this has happened on both of them. Can anyone help shed some light on what is going on here? see image below of the print out right before it reboots:

[url]https://ibb.co/SdcWqx4[/url]

It’s better to post the log to analysis.

FYI, serial console should be able to log the boot. See:
[url]http://www.jetsonhacks.com/2017/03/24/serial-console-nvidia-jetson-tx2/[/url]
(if you hover your mouse over the quote icon in the upper right corner of an existing post other icons will show up…the paper clip icon allows attaching files)

I could see the possibility that if a time related application assumes there is a BIOS it might cause a boot failure (there is no BIOS and no GRUB in an embedded system). On the other hand, if the official apt repos have the application, then it would make sense that it was ported and wouldn’t have those issues. A log might show which it is, or maybe it is something entirely unrelated.

this application is trying to write/read unprivileged address. Application need to be tweaked to not do so

[ 10.226162] Address : 0x2490b00 (unknown device)
[ 10.226165] Address : 0x2490b00 (unknown device)

Thanks ShaneCCC, do you have any idea why the old jetpack was robust to this and the new jetpack is not?

-Kieran

I can’t tell however the kernel version and ubuntu and even the APP version are different.

you may try using ptpd instead of linuxptp, they are supplied by different maintainers and the former doesn’t have the issue that the latter has, as per my experience

I’ve just had the exact same issue. Is there a way to repair this without re-flashing Jetpack? There’s about a day worth of work of installing packages that would be lost if I have to reflash…

Hi sean12345,

Not sure the details of your issue, but the “Reflash” is usually the first thing to try with.