Xavier compared to nano - setup

I have used jetson nanos for a quite a while for building deepstream applications and am looking to get a Xavier development kit.
Is it correct that you must have a linux host computer to set the xavier up? With the nano I just flash jetpack onto an sdcard and you are away… Is there no sdcard on the xavier? Does it have built-in storage?

Yes, you are right, you need a Linux host computer for the initial setup. Xavier AGX Dev-Kit does not have sd-card slot. There is 32GB flash storage (eMMC) on the Dev-Kit. You might want to add a external storage through USB/eSATA SSD drive or a NVMe module (through the M.2 Key slot)

If you don’t have a dedicated Linux-PC like me you might get along with Ubuntu 18.x running inside a VM. I was successful with VirtualBox running on MacOS. During the setup process there were several reboots of the Xavier and the USB connections to the VM gets lost. I managed through this by watching closely and reconnect the USB-port to the VM as fast as possible before the Nvidia SDK Manager timed out.
Fortunately you need to do this only once as since JetPack 4.3 there is a new update process through apt packages…

Thank you. Sounds like it’ll be a bit of a pain but if it’s only required that very first time I’ll see how I go. ;-)

Small correction - there is a slot for Micro-SD cards, but I don’t know if you can boot the system from there…

Technically, the way to setup all the Jetson’s is with a Linux host computer. Flashing sd card is an additional user-friendly way to boot a Jetson Nano, though my experience says the SDK manager is way better.
And yes, you can boot an Xavier AGX with an sd card, but some issues may arise:

Does Jetson AGX Xavier support boot from SD?

Wow, so you could boot through a VM. But was this a fix from JetPack 4.3?