Xavier NX won't reboot properly after installing software to boot from M.2 NVMe SSD

SSD: WD 250GB SSD

After installing the software to boot from the SSD, I can’t reboot or shutdown the Xavier NX and get back to the SSH CLI prompt by restarting Putty.

If I manually shut the power down to the Xavier NX and power back up I can get back to the SSH CLI prompt using Putty.

If I issue a shutdown command from the CLI, the Xavier NX will shutdown, however if I reapply power I can’t get back to the SSH CLI prompt by restarting Putty and have to manually shut the power down and power back up to get the SSH CLI prompt back using Putty.

If I attach a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I can reboot the Xavier NX from the Ubuntu Desktop and it will reboot back to the desktop and I can SSH in to get back to the CLI.

Suggestions to resolve this issue?

Problem Solved, but I haven’t the faintest idea how other what I have described below.

After attaching a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and proceeding to both reboot and shutdown the Xavier NX from the Ubuntu Desktop, the ability to SSH into the CLI, after booting up from either a reboot or a shutdown, was restored and I could now successfully both reboot and shutdown without the monitor, keyboard and mouse attached.

Actually, I don’t see any connection between your issue and the boot from ssd.

And what kind of interface is your ssh using now? The micro usb or etherent or something else?

@WayneWWW,

The Xavier NX comes with a M.2 Key E WiFi/BT module preinstalled.
I suspect that there was some issue connecting with the WiFi/BT module at boot up and was corrected in some way by using the Ubuntu Desktop to reboot and shutdown a couple of times.

Comments?

1. Can you make some more tests to verify if this issue is really due to mounting file system on NVMe?

2. Can you check the uart console log when you “re-apply power and cannot get back the ssh cli”?

3. Can you check if this issue only happens to wifi interface?

@WayneWWW,

Answer to #3
As I stated in my posts above, I could not connect by SSH (WiFi0 until I powered up the Xavier NX with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse attached. After rebooting and shutdown the Xavier NX from the Ubuntu Desktop, the WiFi service was restored and I could connect to the Xavier NX with SSH from a boot up or reconnect with SSH from a reboot.
Since booting to the Ubuntu Desktop and rebooting from the Desktop cured the problem, I doubt that any evidence of the issue will remain to be captured for items #1 and #2.

1. If this issue has nothing to do with NVMe SSD, then I will modify your topic in case this misleads other users.

2. Do you still have issue there or not? If so, then dump the log from uart. It not, then just waiting for next time you have such issue and dump the log.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.