Xavier power Mode

Hey ,
I have an xavier Development kit and would like to put it in low power mode depending on an event ,I can use this tool
“sudo nvpmodel” in Linux environment but how can I accomplish this from within a program running on the xavier?

hello Ashja,

please refer to Supported Modes and Power Efficiency, it’s NVPModel clock configuration for global configuration,
may I know what’s your use-case, would you like to specific number of cores for your application?

Hi @JerryChang ,
Thanks for replying, I am running a micro service architecture on the xavier for a consumer application.When the user is not in session I want to lower the power consumption .As the services are hosted in dockerized applications I want to change the power mode from within. At minimum I would require 3 cores .

hello Ashja,

actually, it’ll need system reboot to change the power modes.

hi @JerryChang ,
would it require reboot for all power modes? my testing shows it only required reboot for 10w mode

hello Ashja,

you’re correct, not every power mode switch need system reboot.
it’s command, $ sudo /usr/sbin/nvpmodel -m <index> for changing the power modes.
you may write a script file to involve this command before launching your customize application.
you could also define a custom power mode by modify /etc/nvpmodel.conf.
thanks

Hi @JerryChang ,
Thats is exactly what I am doing right now ,but I was wondering how the nvmpodel util is doing it in the backend so that I might be able to incorporate it in my code .

hello Ashja,

as you can see in the Supported Modes and Power Efficiency, it modify online cores and also the clock rate (i.e. frequency).
you may also look into configuration file, nvpmodel.conf, it’s overwrite the settings to the sysnodes.
so,
if your code have root permission, you may also doing the same by using sysnode to overwrite the settings.
thanks

Hi @JerryChang ,
thank you,That is helpful .we can close this issue