Xfce can't fully start for some obscure reason and I can't use ubuntu 20.04 with the kernel 4.9 + jetpack 32.7 and kvm enabled

Hello to everyone.

I’m trying to compile the source code provided by the repo GitHub - OE4T/linux-tegra-4.9: NVIDIA downstream Linux kernel source Jetson platforms in single-repo form, derived from the L4T R32.x series BSP because I want to enable kvm and this time I’ve applied the “oe4t-patches-l4t-r32.7” such as the “oe4t-patches-l4t-r32.7.3”,obtaining the same output. Unfortunately 'cause some hidden error that I’m not able to discover,xfce can’t fully start. I see some message on the screen that don’t seem to be the cause,but ubuntu 20.04 (installed following this guide :

)

is frozen there. For this reason I can’t keep my system upgraded with the new code. I hope someone has the ability to help me to understand how to fix it. The commands that I have issued are the following :

# git clone https://github.com/OE4T/linux-tegra-4.9.git
# cd linux-tegra-4.9/
# git checkout oe4t-patches-l4t-r32.7 (but the same happens with 32.7.3)
# cp /proc/config.gz .
# gunzip config.gz
# mv config .config
# make menuconfig (KVM is already enabled)
# make -j4
# make -j4 modules_install
# make -j4 Image
# mv /boot/Image Image-kvm-old
# cp arch/arm64/boot/Image /boot/Image
# reboot

the dtb file to use is called : tegra210-p3448-0000-p3449-0000-a02.dtb and the extlinux.conf is something like this :

TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT primary

MENU TITLE L4T boot options

LABEL primary
MENU LABEL primary kernel
LINUX /boot/Image
INITRD /boot/initrd
FDT /boot/tegra210-p3448-0000-p3449-0000-a02.dtb
APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0

The messages which appear on the screen stay there forever :

I’ve attached also the kernel config file that I’ve used :

kernel-config-tegra (163.2 KB)

Is this a duplicate of:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/drivers-base-dma-coherent-c12-error-shrink-thread-defined-but-not-used-werror-unused-function/247414/

This would change many things. The Nano is not compatible with Ubuntu 20.04. The kernel and other code is from 18.04 and it was never ported to 20.04 due to EOL.

I don’t see it as a duplicate,because I used a different JetPack version and a different set of patches and I also see a different output on the screen.

Just beware that neither a 5.x kernel, nor Ubuntu 20.04, would work on a Nano (at least not without a lot of work).

I’m planning to install ubuntu 18.04 with the Jetpack and the patches version 32.7.3…

Im sure that the new Jetson Orin can run on a newer kernel and Jetpack version (that will not work with the Nano). And the same will happens with the board that will come after Orin. I know very well this kind of strategic and marketing attitude.

You re-check if in /etc/X11/xorg.conf if disabled # Driver nvidia line

Check this tweaks Importants Tweaks for not break Nvidia GPU drivers and some mainline Ubuntu stuff

This working fine for me up to Ubuntu 22.04 tested working X11 acelerating fine.

what kernel version are you running ? I’m tempted to upgrade to kernel 5.x ; did you enable kvm ? do you think it will work with ubuntu 22.04 ? I need it. I’m tempted to upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04.

Ah you are trying to use kernel 5.x
This won’t work as the kernel structure has subfolders outside of the kernel that you need to compile to get access to the GPU like access nvgpu and other porg stuff.
So you’re stuck to kernel 4.9 if you want the working binaries provided by nvidia.
The latest kernel and EOL from kernel.org is 4.9.337 although I am currently using 4.9.334

1 Like

Actually I’m using 4.9.299+. I nice idea is to find the way to use 5.x ; I haven’t the abilities to do that,anyway. For me is anyway clear that nvidia wants to push us to buy the most expensive board orin and again the next board after orin and so on,in a forever loop. It seems they want to take us hostage, with the “blackmail” of the little security we are exposed if we don’t. Im sure that Orin will supports kernel 5 and more modern jetpacks. This is the nvidia marketing plan. They want to push us to buy new (expensive) hardware in a small amount of time (lets look how often do they churn out new workstation gpu’s,one every year !) if we want modern software,more security and more support,too.

1 Like

Anyway,I read that the jetson nano will work with the kernel 5.x even if the nvidia drivers will not work. Anyway I haven’t understood how much it could be usable). So here the idea could be to install ubuntu 22.04 with the kernel 5.x as primary os and to use some kind of virtualization with the kernel 4.9 (ubuntu 18.04 with docker or qemu+kvm ?) to run the nvidia utilities.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.