Jetson Nano GPIO - RMCS1120 Stepper motor driver

I’m having a hard time determining which GPIO pins must be connected to the stepper motor driver RMCS1120.
I need assistance in determining which specific GPIO pins on the Jetson Nano should be used to connect the PUL+, PUL-, DIR+, DIR-, ENA+, and ENA- pins of the RMCS1120 stepper motor driver.

I had a look at the specifications for the RMCS1120 stepper motor driver, but I’m unable to figure this out.

Kindly please help.

Are you sure this device is really compatible with Jetson Nano?
I don’t see anything named PU.0X in either pinmux or carrier board spec:

@DaveYYY How do I determine what GPIO pins of the Jetson nano must the stepper motor driver (RMCS1120) be connected to?

I don’t even know what is this RMCS1120…

Please first confirm this with the vendor.

1 Like

Sure,
I’ll check this with the vendor.
Is the output voltage of pins 32 and 33 5V or 3.3V?

All pins on the expansion header are 3.3V.

1 Like

@DaveYYY The vendor has confirmed that the RMCS1120 is compatible with the Jetson Nano.

Kindly please assist with what GPIO pins must be the connected to PUL+, PUL-, DIR+, DIR-, ENA+, and ENA- pins of the RMCS1120 stepper motor driver.

Then my question remains the same.
Anyway, if you just need to control the output voltage, any GPIO pins would do it.

This was from claude.ai. Please ignore this.

Would need help with determining which specific GPIO pins on the Jetson Nano should be used to connect the PUL+, PUL-, DIR+, DIR-, ENA+, and ENA- pins of the RMCS1120 stepper motor driver.

As long as it’s a GPIO pin, there is no specific GPIO pin at all.
They all act the same.
Or you don’t know what I’m talking about?

Looking at the link: NVIDIA Jetson Nano J41 Header Pinout - JetsonHacks each GPIO pins has a specific functionality.

I suppose I just can’t go ahead and connect the PUL+, PUL-, DIR+, DIR-, ENA+, and ENA- pins from the RMCS1120 stepper motor driver to any random pin of the GPIO header of the Jetson Nano?

The name shows their alternate functionalities in addition to GPIO, meaning they can also be used as an SFIO(UART, SPI, PWM…) rather than GPIO, when configured correctly. If they have a specific functionality, then they are not GPIO…

All the pins in the table with Sysfs GPIO labelled are by default GPIO, and YES, you can connect those pins on the driver to any random pins of the GPIO header.
You just make sure you are sending the signal/voltage with the pins you use.

Is that clear enough for you?

1 Like

Looking at NVIDIA Jetson Nano J41 Header Pinout - JetsonHacks

From RMCS1120 to Jetson Nano:
PUL- to pin 6 (Gnd)
DIR- to pin14 (Gnd)
ENA- to pin 20 (Gnd)
The above 3 connections seem fine to me, please confirm.

But, I’m not certain what pins on the Nano must the PUL+, DIR+, and ENA+ be connected to. Please help me with this.

Any GPIO pins on the header.
Anything like input/output direction, pull up/down, high/low voltage can be done with sysfs.
You just make sure it’s a GPIO pin.

Whats sysfc?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/gpio/sysfs.txt

So can I connect DIR+ to pin 32 which is the LCD_BL_PWM, PUL+ to pin 29 which is CAM_AF_EN and ENA+ to pin 37 which is SPI_2_MOSI to control the stepper motor?

Definitely YES.

Alright, thank you. Also, is it possible to control 3 stepper motors (NEMA23) using a single stepper motor driver (RMCS1120)?

I don’t think it’s related to Jetson.
Please find the right place to ask it.