[470.57.02] Nvidia 30-series HDMI audio stops working when switching from 60Hz to 120Hz

Did anyone get a fix for this besides a full OS reinstall?

Doesnā€™t appeart to work with 510.54. Sometimes it seems that after booting when I switch the refresh from 120Hz to 60Hz and back to 120Hz, sound worksā€¦ but this is after quick testing, and definitely not preferable.

Next day edit: Nevermind, after more testing canā€™t get it to work when switching 120->60->120 again.

Having this issue here too. RTX 3090. Samsung TV. Driver ver: 510.54
Really annoying you pay a premium for an advertised feature, only for it not to work

I posted over in the GRD forums but havenā€™t got any traction yet. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/485569/bug-windows-11-nvidia-drivers-51179-or-earlier-/

Iā€™m not trying this on any flavor of Linux. Windows 10 continues to work flawlessly while Windows 11 is exhibiting the issues I described above.

Same issue here.
Windows 11
Nvidia 3080ti
Z690
Fibre hdmi.
Pure tools earc splitter
Marantz sr6011
Although same problem with hdmi directly to tv.

same issue
windows 10
3080ti founders / msi 3070ti
sony a80j / lg c1
ive tried tons of different certified cables

no matter what card i use on my sony i get no sound when i use 120hz refresh or when i use 60hz and output color depth above 8bpc

on my lg c1 i get sound but it drops out and i have to reset to get it to come back in

first world problems i know but spending this much money of 2 cards and 2 tvs for it to fail really hurts i gotta say

Unfortunately, still experiencing the same symptoms on the new 510.60.02 Linux driver (with kernel version 5.16.16.arch1-1). WIth a 3090 + LG C1, 60Hz has audio, 120Hz has no audio, and switching from 60Hz to 120Hz while audio is already playing works.

It absolutely baffles me ā€¦ almost a year since this was reported and still not fixed.

I know itā€™s not a fix for everyone, but I recently bought a Dolby Atmos sound bar for my Samsung q70t TV, plugged it in under optical, and now itā€™s working fine.

Someone is working on HDMI audio apparently, in 510.60.02ā€™s change log we can read: ā€œFixed a bug that could cause displays with HDMI or DisplayPort audio to be deselected as the default audio output device after resuming from suspend.ā€

Too bad they still canā€™t find a fix for this sound dropping (yes, I checked 510.60.02). Iā€™m afraid itā€™s buggy hardware. I already imagine hunting for a 40-series card in todayā€™s market, just to fix a simple sound issue :(

Nop. We that caught the issue happening, almost a year ago, returning to driver 465 fixed the issue 100%. It is a driver bug

Well , I have here one pc that comes with an RTX 3060. I cannot get HDMI audio at 100Hz or 120Hz. No matter what I do. Under windows it works fine in this short test.

Please fix the linux drivers !!!

New Nvidia RTX 3060 here with an LG C1 65". Iā€™m using nvidia-driver-510 version 510.54-0ubuntu0.20.04.1.
Whole point of this setup was to get 4K 120Hz with audio.
I saw the same symptoms with audio not working once I went with 4K 120Hz.
I ended up working around this by not using the TV at all for sound and powering my surround sound speaker system using optical out from my new PC. Itā€™s an extra cost solution but at least it avoids the base problem.

Not an option here, not even close. Has to be hdmi . First because of my layout/cabling and second lpcm 7.1 not possible with optical.

Ubuntu/nVidia 3060ti/510.xx driver and same problem as above.

I made a bash script to work around the issue and launch Steam games. I lack ā€˜shareable skillsā€™, but itā€™s basically:

• use mpg321 to play a short mp3
  • wait a few seconds
  • use nvidia-settings to set a 4k@60Hz MetaMode (while mp3 is playing) *
  • wait a few seconds
  • use nvidia-settings to set the 4k@120Hz MetaMode (while mp3 is still playing)

(* I use a 1440p desktop, and it seems more reliable switching 4k60-to-4k120 than to switch 1440p120-to-4k120)

And the script is added to the Steam gameā€™s launch options, ā€œ/path/to/preScript.sh; gamemoderun %command%; /path/to/postScript.sh*ā€

(* postScript to return to 1440@120Hz)

It works most of the time, but I wish it didnā€™t have to exist. Please fix this!

RTX 3080 + Windows 11 with 511.65 and everything works. 4k120hz, 5.1, Dolby Atmos, all over HDMI.
Thanks for the tip!

Nvidia 3050. Latest everything ARCH linux. No audio above 60Hzā€¦

I can confirm this problem also affects windows users. It seems to affect games in which 120hz Iā€™d not supported mostly lazy developers who made these games who designed the game to run no higher than 75hz ECTā€¦ For instance it works for me with destiny 2 however I switch to a older game like tomb raider no sound with 4k 120hz hdr however if I disable HDR the sound will reappear. Try turning off hdr for older games might work. But regardless Nvidia should of fixed this by now lazy developers also.

510.68.02 , no audio above 60Hz.

Cā€™mon, it has almost been a yearā€¦

Iā€™m also having issues on alienware laptop with 3070 connected to LG 80 series (2022) via HDMI 2.1 with VRR on
Driver version: 512.59