Accuracy difference Device vs. Emu

I have written a a couple of kernels in my project of implementing subdivision using CUDA. The problem that I am seing is that while in emulation mode I get a total difference in the vertices between a regular CPU implementation and my CUDA implementation in the order of 10^-5 which I am happy with. But, when running in device mode, this error climbs to 10^-2 which is quite a lot to say the least! The code for the kernels that calculate new vertices is is given under.

Does anyone see something that could cause this strange behaviour? Any help is appreciated.

__global__

void vertTransKernelV2(float4* vertsIn, float4* vertsOut, uint2** neighList, bool cpy)

{

int index = blockIdx.x*blockDim.x+threadIdx.x;

float4 v = vertsIn[index];

uint2* neighs = getNeighList(index, neighList, cpy);

int n = neighs[0].y;

float4 sumNeigh = make_float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

for(int i = 1; i <= n; i++)

sumNeigh = sumNeigh+vertsIn[neighs[i].y];

float alpha = calcAlpha((float)n);

float4 val = v*(1.0-alpha)+sumNeigh*(alpha*(1.0/(float)n));

val.w = -1.0;

vertsOut[index] = val;

}

__device__

float calcAlpha(float numNeigh)

{

return (1.0/9.0)*(4.0-2.0*__cosf((2.0*M_PI)/numNeigh));

}

__global__

void vertGenKernelV2(float4* vertsIn, float4* vertsOut, uint4* indsIn, uint4* indsOut, int lastIndex, uint2** neighList)

{

int index = blockIdx.x*blockDim.x+threadIdx.x;

uint4 currTri = indsIn[index];

float4 v1 = vertsIn[currTri.x];

float4 v2 = vertsIn[currTri.y];

float4 v3 = vertsIn[currTri.z];

float4 centroid = (v1+v2+v3)/3.0;

centroid.w = 0.0;

int vertOutIndex = lastIndex+index;

vertsOut[vertOutIndex] = centroid;

}

CUDA works (not EMU mode) with float which is not the same as standard IEEE float on x86 CPU… so the result are different …

I know that, but I just think the difference is too much.

How big is n typically in your first kernel? If you are summing a large number of values, the accumulated round-off can get rather big. This can be mitigated using Kahan summation (see wikipedia).

n is the number of neighbours a vertex has in the grid and is not larger than 7 so i do not think this should be the problem.

I implemented the Kahan sum over the elements to no effect sadly.

when running on CPU, did you set the CPU to use only IEEE float? Otherwise the CPU is using 80bit intermediate results on FPU. You can search the forum for how to do it, there have been some examples posted in the past.

In that case I would suggest you try to calculate all possible alpha values and store them in constant memory, cos is one of the functions I would be suspicous about here. You could even go further and to the same with 1-alpha and alpha/n, that does then not leave many places that could cause this error…