Black Screen on Ubuntu 23.10 Login with RTX 4070 on Asus Rog After Nvidia Driver 550 Switch - Potential EDID Failure

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Asus Rog Zephyrus 16 featuring an RTX 4070. My setup includes a dual-boot configuration with Ubuntu 23.10 and Windows 11. On Ubuntu, switching from the Nouveau driver to the Nvidia 550 driver results in a screen freeze/black screen upon login (note: this is for the laptop’s screen, as I do not use an external monitor). However, I can access tty through recovery mode. I experienced similar issues with other Nvidia drivers (525, 535, 545) and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I have attempted several solutions suggested on various forums, including:

• Enabling nomodeset
  • Setting nvidia modeset to 0
  • Adding nvidia to initrd
  • Additionally blocking Nouveau
  • Deleting the xorg.conf file, among others.

Unfortunately, none of these measures have resolved the issue. nvidia-smi displays accurate information about the graphics card when prime-select is configured for Nvidia (verified through tty). When set to the Intel profile, the screen functions normally.

I also generated nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (550.9 KB), which frequently mention:
nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable to read EDID for display device DP-2

This leads me to suspect an EDID failure might be causing the black screen issue, yet I haven’t found a viable solution. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I would greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Your intel cpu and igpu is brandnew so you need the latest kernel to drive it. Please upgrade it using the liquorix ppa.

1 Like

Hey generix, many thanks, haven’t thought about using liquorix kernels. Have just tested with 6.7.10-1.liquorix-amd64. I’ve purged old drivers and reinstalled new ones using Ubuntu GUI. The result is virtually the same and logs look pretty identical to me.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (434.6 KB)

Since this is from recovery, I can’t see what’s happening with the intel igpu. Please uninstall the nvidia driver, reboot and attach a dmesg output
sudo dmesg >dmesg.txt

Sorry, can’t do that. I’ve spent about a week on this issue and haven’t been able to find a workaround. At the end of the day, I switched to Fedora. Everything works almost out of the box. Some brightness issues, but they could be easily fixed. I spent with Ubuntu quite a time but I guess now is a good chance to try something new.