Yes you can use vscode to develop you hardware device, just by treating the hardware device as a remote linux server. What you need to do is to configure the
Remote Development in your vscode.
1. On the server(hardware device) you need to install
openssh-server by using
sudo apt-get install openssh-server.
2. On the client(host os) you need to install
openssh-clients by using
sudo apt-get install openssh-client.
3. In the vscode you need to install the
Remote Development plugin.
4. Then press
ctrl+shift+p open the setting
Remote-SSH-Settings, and check
Remote.SSH:Show Login Terminalto
5. There should be a green button in the left-buttom corner of vscode, please click it and select
Remote-SSH：Connect to Host->Configure SSH Hosts to
6. Please enter your Host(server host name), HostName(Server IP) and User(server user name) and Store it with
7. Restart the vscode, enter the password, and you could find that the remote connection is successful.
8. Finally you should configure the remote compiler in vscode in three file, namely
tasks.json, settings.json, launch.json. The solution could be found in anywhere on the website.