Cannot create context for CPU

Hi

I’ve been playing a little bit with OpenCL for a few hours, to see what is possible with it.

So far, I managed to add vectors or matrices with the GPU !!!

I notice it is impossible to debug the GPU (isn’t it?), so I wanted to run the kernel on the CPU.

Is it possible to debug the kernel on a CPU device? (I guess it is at least possible to use the printf function)

But the creation of the CPU context fails and returns the error code -1 (CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND)

clCreateContextFromType(0, dev, NULL, NULL, &err)

Am I doing something wrong? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

NVIDIA tools and SDK at the moment work with GPU devices only. To have your code run on CPU, you may wish to get AMD SDK from here.

Thank you for the advice.

That’s a pity for the CPU. I’ll try with the AMD SDK.
Is it so possible to debug kernel?

I use to debug my stuff by adding some printf() calls around (and mostly re-reading the code over and over again), and - yes, with AMD SDK (and at least on Linux), this method could be used. But your approach to debugging may vary, so maybe someone else could provide further insight here.

AMD SDK is supporting both CPUs and selected AMD GPUs at the moment. Also, if I understood it properly, OpenCL on Mac is supporting both NVIDIA GPUs and CPUs at the same time. So hopefully NVIDIA SDK will support CPU too in some future revision…

Well OpenCL does not seem to be mature enough.

With the ATI SDK:

• the creation of a GPU context fails, probably because I don’t have an ATI card (but a GeForce)

• the creation of a CPU context succeeds but the build process fails (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE)

The kernel is the easiest I could imagine for a first test, and works fine with the NVidia SDK

__kernel void vec_add(int n, __global const float *X0, __global const float *X1, __global float *Y)

{

int i=get_global_id(0);

Y[i]= X0[i]+X1[i];

}

Any suggestion?

Yeah, both AMD and NVIDIA tools are not mature (while NVIDIA indeed fares better in that regard). Still:

[list=1]

[*]Failed creation of GPU context is as expected - as you said, you don’t have AMD GPU, and each tool works with corresponding hardware and driver only.

[*]There exists “clc” tool (under bin/{x86,x86_64} of your AMD SDK installation directory), which is kind of OpenCL compiler, so you could use it beforehand to check the syntax of your kernels. I copy-pasted the kernel code you supplied, and on my machine (AMD SDK 2.0-beta4, on 64-bit Linux machine), it compiles without any issues. So, maybe you should try it too (maybe there exist some spurious characters in your .cl file, or something like that), and if it compiles properly on your machine, then you should check more carefully for some other problems in your code…

Also, be very careful, when having both SDKs installed on the same machine, that you’re always including headers, and linking with libraries, from corresponding SDK - NVIDIA is now copying header/library files into corresponding system directories, so this is why these steps could be problematic.

Good to know the existance of ‘clc’. It would be very difficult to find syntax errors without such a tool.

Nevertheless, ‘clc’ works fine on my ‘cl’ file, whereas the build still fails with the ATI SDK…

prog = clCreateProgramWithSource(context, 1, &ps, NULL, &err); // works, content of string correct...

err=clBuildProgram(prog, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); // returns -11

Yes.

It is not a big deal to change include and library paths in the Visual Studio project.

The problem came rather from the ‘opencl.dll’ file. I did not noticed at first, that a copy (in ‘c:/windows/system32’) was used, and so I had to manually exchange the dlls.

Fetching and printing the program build log at run time is easy, and it was discussed several times on this forum - for an example, see the last post (at the moment) in this thread. Maybe it’s that you’re not properly zero-terminating the program source string?

ok, I now use the clGetProgramBuildInfo, directly after clBuildProgram.

I get the message (in french!) from the ATI SDK: “cannot find the specified path”.
Which path? What could be the reason?

How about just attaching your full source (hopefully a minimal version, but that would still trigger the problem on your machine, and also one that is not platform specific) here?

Nice from you, I did not want to bother you to debug my program.
Are you sure? Because I have actually programmed some wrappers, in order to integrate opencl to my C++ library.
(I am bothered with C interfaces…), but it makes the debugging much more difficult for you.

Maybe I could program a small test case directly with opencl calls, to see if I can reproduce the error…

From all of said above, I’d suspect there exist some coding error in your code. So if you could supply the code that is compilable on Linux, I can try it on my machine, and see does the same problem you described appears. Even better, if you could come up with some minimal example, then I can certainly try to quickly debug it (but I do also hope that, if the error is really in your code, you may be able to spot the error yourself during the procedure).

As for C++ wrappers: you are aware of Khronos C++ bindings, right (never used these by myself, but I can see some people do use them)?

The build of the kernel now works with ATI SDK for a CPU device, I do not know why… really, I did not change anything… (just tried another kernel that worked, and came back to the first kernel). Don’t ask me…

Yes, I already saw the Khronos c++ bindings, but at fist glance i do not like it much either.

If your are interested and would like to give me feed back, you’ll find bellow my wrappers (It is just a first draft for my test purpose…) and a small test.

To switch betwwen CPU and GPU device, you have for now to uncomment the corresponding line

• static ocl_context ocl_current_context = ocl_cpu();

• static ocl_context ocl_current_context = ocl_gpu();

#include "my_opencl.h"

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

typedef float value_type;

try

{

string s("__kernel void vec_add(int n, __global const float *X0, __global const float *X1, __global float *Y) { int i=get_global_id(0); Y[i]=X0[i]+X1[i]; }");

ocl_kernel kern = gpu_kernel(s,"vec_add");

int n=10;

value_type *X=new float[n], *Y=new float[n], *Z=new float[n];

for (int i=0; i<n; ++i) { X[i]=i; Y[i]=i; Z[i]=0; }

ocl_rvector<value_type> bX=gpu_rvector<value_type>(n);

ocl_rvector<value_type> bY=gpu_rvector<value_type>(n);

ocl_wvector<value_type> bZ=gpu_wvector<value_type>(n);

gpu_write(&X[0],bX);

gpu_write(&Y[0],bY);

gpu_exec(n,bX,bY,kern,bZ);

gpu_read(bZ,&Z[0]);

for (int i=0; i<n; ++i) cout << Z[i] << " ";

} catch (ocl_error &e) { cout << e.value() << " " << e.what() << endl; }

}
#ifndef GENIAL_OPENCL_H

#define GENIAL_OPENCL_H

#include <CL/cl.h>

#include <assert.h>

#include <string>

#include <vector>

#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

class ocl_error : public std::exception

{

private:

int err;

string msg;

public:

inline ocl_error() : err(CL_SUCCESS) {}

inline ocl_error(int e) : err(e) {}

inline ocl_error(	   const char   *s) : err(CL_SUCCESS), msg(s) {}

inline ocl_error(	   const string &s) : err(CL_SUCCESS), msg(s) {}

inline ocl_error(int e, const char   *s) : err(e)		 , msg(s) {}

inline ocl_error(int e, const string &s) : err(e)		 , msg(s) {}

inline ~ocl_error() throw() {}

inline int value() const { return err; }

inline const string &message() const { return msg; }

virtual const char *what() const throw() { return message().c_str(); }

};

inline void ocl_assert(cl_int err) { assert(err==CL_SUCCESS); }

inline void ocl_check(cl_int err) { if (err==CL_SUCCESS) return; throw ocl_error(err); }

inline void ocl_check(cl_int err,const char *msg) { if (err==CL_SUCCESS) return; throw ocl_error(err,msg); }

inline void ocl_check(bool b				) { if (b) return; throw ocl_error(); }

inline void ocl_check(bool b,const char *msg) { if (b) return; throw ocl_error(msg); }

template<class V>

class ocl_buffer

{

public:

typedef ocl_buffer self;

typedef V value_type;

typedef cl_mem id_type;

typedef cl_int int_type;

private:

int_type sz;

id_type mem;

public:

ocl_buffer(cl_context context, int n, cl_mem_flags flags=CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) : sz(n) { cl_int err; mem=clCreateBuffer(context,flags,nelms()*sizeof(value_type),NULL,&err); ocl_check(err); }

~ocl_buffer() { clReleaseMemObject(mem); }

id_type	   &id()	   { return mem; }

const id_type &id() const { return mem; }

int_type nelms() const { return sz; }

cl_uint dim() const { return 1; }

};

template<class V>

class ocl_vector : public ocl_buffer<V>

{

public:

typedef ocl_vector self;

typedef ocl_buffer<V> base;

typedef typename base::value_type value_type;

typedef typename base::int_type   int_type;

public:

ocl_vector(cl_context context, int n, cl_mem_flags flags=CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) : base(context,n,flags) { }

};

template<class V> struct ocl_rvector  : public ocl_vector<V> { typedef ocl_rvector  self; typedef ocl_vector<V> base; ocl_rvector (cl_context context, int n) : base(context,n,CL_MEM_READ_ONLY ) {} };

template<class V> struct ocl_wvector  : public ocl_vector<V> { typedef ocl_wvector  self; typedef ocl_vector<V> base; ocl_wvector (cl_context context, int n) : base(context,n,CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY) {} };

template<class V> struct ocl_rwvector : public ocl_vector<V> { typedef ocl_rwvector self; typedef ocl_vector<V> base; ocl_rwvector(cl_context context, int n) : base(context,n,CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) {} };

template<class V>

class ocl_matrix : public ocl_buffer<V>

{

public:

typedef ocl_matrix self;

private:

int_type s0,s1;

public:

ocl_matrix(cl_context context, int m,int n, cl_mem_flags flags=CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) : base(context,m*n,flags), s0(m), s1(n) { }

int_type nrows() const { return s0; }   

int_type ncols() const { return s1; }   

int_type dim() const { return 2; }

};

template<class V> struct ocl_rmatrix  : public ocl_matrix<V> { typedef ocl_rmatrix  self; typedef ocl_matrix<V> base; ocl_rmatrix (cl_context context, int m,int n) : base(context,m,n,CL_MEM_READ_ONLY ) {} };

template<class V> struct ocl_wmatrix  : public ocl_matrix<V> { typedef ocl_wmatrix  self; typedef ocl_matrix<V> base; ocl_wmatrix (cl_context context, int m,int n) : base(context,m,n,CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY) {} };

template<class V> struct ocl_rwmatrix : public ocl_matrix<V> { typedef ocl_rwmatrix self; typedef ocl_matrix<V> base; ocl_rwmatrix(cl_context context, int m,int n) : base(context,m,n,CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) {} };

class ocl_kernel

{

public:

typedef ocl_kernel self;

typedef cl_uint dim_type;

typedef size_t size_type;

typedef size_type gws_type[3];

private:

cl_kernel kern;

dim_type d;

gws_type gws;

public:

ocl_kernel(cl_program prog, const char   *name) : d(0) { init(prog,name); }  

ocl_kernel(cl_program prog, const string &name) : d(0) { init(prog,name.c_str()); }  

~ocl_kernel() { clReleaseKernel(id()); }

cl_kernel id() const { return kern; }

dim_type	   &dim()	   { return d; }

const dim_type &dim() const { return d; }

gws_type	   &global_work_size()	   { return gws; }

const gws_type &global_work_size() const { return gws; }

self &set_arg(int i, int x) { ocl_check(clSetKernelArg(id(),i,sizeof(int),(void*)&x)); return *this; }	

template<class V> self &set_arg(int i, const ocl_vector<V> &x) { return set_buffer(i,x); }

template<class V> self &set_arg(int i, const ocl_matrix<V> &x) { dim()=__max(dim(),x.dim()); gws[0]=__max(gws[0],x.nrows());gws[1]=__max(gws[1],x.ncols()); ocl_check(clSetKernelArg(id(),i,sizeof(typename ocl_matrix<V>::id_type),(void*)&(x.id()))); return *this; }

private:

void init(cl_program prog, const char *name) { gws[0]=0; gws[1]=0; gws[2]=0; cl_int err; kern = clCreateKernel(prog, name, &err); ocl_check(err); }	 

template<class Buf> self &set_buffer(int i, const Buf &x) { dim()=__max(dim(),x.dim()); gws[0]=__max(gws[0],x.nelms()); ocl_check(clSetKernelArg(id(),i,sizeof(typename Buf::id_type),(void*)&(x.id()))); return *this; }

};

class ocl_devices : public vector<cl_device_id>

{

public:

typedef ocl_devices self;

public:

ocl_devices(cl_context context) 

{

size_t sz;

ocl_check(clGetContextInfo(context, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, 0, NULL, &sz));

resize(sz/sizeof(cl_device_id));

ocl_check(clGetContextInfo(context, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, sz, &(*this)[0], NULL));	

}

};

class ocl_program

{

public:

typedef ocl_program self;

private:

cl_context cont;

cl_program prog;

public:

ocl_program(cl_context context) : cont(context), prog(0) { }

ocl_program(cl_context context, const char   *s) : cont(context) { init(s); }

ocl_program(cl_context context, const string &s) : cont(context) { init(s.c_str()); }

ocl_program(const char   *fname, cl_context context) : cont(context) { load(fname); }

ocl_program(const string &fname, cl_context context) : cont(context) { load(fname); }

~ocl_program() { clReleaseProgram(id()); }

cl_context context_id() const { return cont; }

cl_program id		() const { return prog; }

self &load(const string &fname) { return load(fname.c_str()); }

self &load(const char   *fname)

{

ifstream is(fname);

ocl_check(is.is_open(),"File not found");

string src=string(istreambuf_iterator<char>(is),istreambuf_iterator<char>());

return init(&src[0]);

}   

ocl_kernel kernel(const char   *name) { return ocl_kernel(id(),name); }

ocl_kernel kernel(const string &name) { return ocl_kernel(id(),name); }

private:

self &init(const char *s) { cl_int err; prog = clCreateProgramWithSource(context_id(), 1, &s, NULL, &err); ocl_check(err); build(); return *this; } 

self &build() 

{ 

cl_int err=clBuildProgram(id(), 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

//ocl_check(err);

if (err != CL_SUCCESS)

{

size_t n;

cl_device_id dev= ocl_devices(context_id())[0];

ocl_check(clGetProgramBuildInfo(id(), dev, CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG, 0, NULL, &n));

string s(n,'

#ifndef GENIAL_OPENCL_H

#define GENIAL_OPENCL_H

#include <CL/cl.h>

#include <assert.h>

#include

#include

#include

using namespace std;

class ocl_error : public std::exception

{

private:

int err;

string msg;

public:

inline ocl_error() : err(CL_SUCCESS) {}

inline ocl_error(int e) : err(e) {}

inline ocl_error(	   const char   *s) : err(CL_SUCCESS), msg(s) {}

inline ocl_error(	   const string &s) : err(CL_SUCCESS), msg(s) {}

inline ocl_error(int e, const char   *s) : err(e)		 , msg(s) {}

inline ocl_error(int e, const string &s) : err(e)		 , msg(s) {}

inline ~ocl_error() throw() {}

inline int value() const { return err; }

inline const string &message() const { return msg; }

virtual const char *what() const throw() { return message().c_str(); }

};

inline void ocl_assert(cl_int err) { assert(err==CL_SUCCESS); }

inline void ocl_check(cl_int err) { if (err==CL_SUCCESS) return; throw ocl_error(err); }

inline void ocl_check(cl_int err,const char *msg) { if (err==CL_SUCCESS) return; throw ocl_error(err,msg); }

inline void ocl_check(bool b ) { if (b) return; throw ocl_error(); }

inline void ocl_check(bool b,const char *msg) { if (b) return; throw ocl_error(msg); }

template

class ocl_buffer

{

public:

typedef ocl_buffer self;

typedef V value_type;

typedef cl_mem id_type;

typedef cl_int int_type;

private:

int_type sz;

id_type mem;

public:

ocl_buffer(cl_context context, int n, cl_mem_flags flags=CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) : sz(n) { cl_int err; mem=clCreateBuffer(context,flags,nelms()*sizeof(value_type),NULL,&err); ocl_check(err); }

~ocl_buffer() { clReleaseMemObject(mem); }

id_type	   &id()	   { return mem; }

const id_type &id() const { return mem; }

int_type nelms() const { return sz; }

cl_uint dim() const { return 1; }

};

template

class ocl_vector : public ocl_buffer

{

public:

typedef ocl_vector self;

public:

ocl_vector(cl_context context, int n, cl_mem_flags flags=CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) : base(context,n,flags) { }

};

template struct ocl_rvector : public ocl_vector { typedef ocl_rvector self; typedef ocl_vector base; ocl_rvector (cl_context context, int n) : base(context,n,CL_MEM_READ_ONLY ) {} };

template struct ocl_wvector : public ocl_vector { typedef ocl_wvector self; typedef ocl_vector base; ocl_wvector (cl_context context, int n) : base(context,n,CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY) {} };

template struct ocl_rwvector : public ocl_vector { typedef ocl_rwvector self; typedef ocl_vector base; ocl_rwvector(cl_context context, int n) : base(context,n,CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) {} };

template

class ocl_matrix : public ocl_buffer

{

public:

typedef ocl_matrix self;

private:

int_type s0,s1;

public:

ocl_matrix(cl_context context, int m,int n, cl_mem_flags flags=CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) : base(context,m*n,flags), s0(m), s1(n) { }

int_type nrows() const { return s0; }   

int_type ncols() const { return s1; }   

int_type dim() const { return 2; }

};

template struct ocl_rmatrix : public ocl_matrix { typedef ocl_rmatrix self; typedef ocl_matrix base; ocl_rmatrix (cl_context context, int m,int n) : base(context,m,n,CL_MEM_READ_ONLY ) {} };

template struct ocl_wmatrix : public ocl_matrix { typedef ocl_wmatrix self; typedef ocl_matrix base; ocl_wmatrix (cl_context context, int m,int n) : base(context,m,n,CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY) {} };

template struct ocl_rwmatrix : public ocl_matrix { typedef ocl_rwmatrix self; typedef ocl_matrix base; ocl_rwmatrix(cl_context context, int m,int n) : base(context,m,n,CL_MEM_READ_WRITE) {} };

class ocl_kernel

{

public:

typedef ocl_kernel self;

typedef cl_uint dim_type;

typedef size_t size_type;

typedef size_type gws_type[3];

private:

cl_kernel kern;

dim_type d;

gws_type gws;

public:

ocl_kernel(cl_program prog, const char   *name) : d(0) { init(prog,name); }  

ocl_kernel(cl_program prog, const string &name) : d(0) { init(prog,name.c_str()); }  

~ocl_kernel() { clReleaseKernel(id()); }

cl_kernel id() const { return kern; }

dim_type	   &dim()	   { return d; }

const dim_type &dim() const { return d; }

gws_type	   &global_work_size()	   { return gws; }

const gws_type &global_work_size() const { return gws; }

self &set_arg(int i, int x) { ocl_check(clSetKernelArg(id(),i,sizeof(int),(void*)&x)); return *this; }	

template<class V> self &set_arg(int i, const ocl_vector<V> &x) { return set_buffer(i,x); }

template<class V> self &set_arg(int i, const ocl_matrix<V> &x) { dim()=__max(dim(),x.dim()); gws[0]=__max(gws[0],x.nrows());gws[1]=__max(gws[1],x.ncols()); ocl_check(clSetKernelArg(id(),i,sizeof(typename ocl_matrix<V>::id_type),(void*)&(x.id()))); return *this; }

private:

void init(cl_program prog, const char *name) { gws[0]=0; gws[1]=0; gws[2]=0; cl_int err; kern = clCreateKernel(prog, name, &err); ocl_check(err); }	 

template<class Buf> self &set_buffer(int i, const Buf &x) { dim()=__max(dim(),x.dim()); gws[0]=__max(gws[0],x.nelms()); ocl_check(clSetKernelArg(id(),i,sizeof(typename Buf::id_type),(void*)&(x.id()))); return *this; }

};

class ocl_devices : public vector<cl_device_id>

{

public:

typedef ocl_devices self;

public:

ocl_devices(cl_context context) 

{

size_t sz;

ocl_check(clGetContextInfo(context, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, 0, NULL, &sz));

resize(sz/sizeof(cl_device_id));

ocl_check(clGetContextInfo(context, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, sz, &(*this)[0], NULL));	

}

};

class ocl_program

{

public:

typedef ocl_program self;

private:

cl_context cont;

cl_program prog;

public:

ocl_program(cl_context context) : cont(context), prog(0) { }

ocl_program(cl_context context, const char   *s) : cont(context) { init(s); }

ocl_program(cl_context context, const string &s) : cont(context) { init(s.c_str()); }

ocl_program(const char   *fname, cl_context context) : cont(context) { load(fname); }

ocl_program(const string &fname, cl_context context) : cont(context) { load(fname); }

~ocl_program() { clReleaseProgram(id()); }

cl_context context_id() const { return cont; }

cl_program id		() const { return prog; }

self &load(const string &fname) { return load(fname.c_str()); }

self &load(const char   *fname)

{

ifstream is(fname);

ocl_check(is.is_open(),"File not found");

string src=string(istreambuf_iterator<char>(is),istreambuf_iterator<char>());

return init(&src[0]);

}   

ocl_kernel kernel(const char   *name) { return ocl_kernel(id(),name); }

ocl_kernel kernel(const string &name) { return ocl_kernel(id(),name); }

private:

self &init(const char *s) { cl_int err; prog = clCreateProgramWithSource(context_id(), 1, &s, NULL, &err); ocl_check(err); build(); return *this; } 

self &build() 

{ 

cl_int err=clBuildProgram(id(), 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

//ocl_check(err);

if (err != CL_SUCCESS)

{

size_t n;

cl_device_id dev= ocl_devices(context_id())[0];

ocl_check(clGetProgramBuildInfo(id(), dev, CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG, 0, NULL, &n));

string s(n,'\0');

ocl_check(clGetProgramBuildInfo(id(), dev, CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG, n, &s[0], NULL));

throw ocl_error(err,s);

}

return *this; 

}

};

class ocl_file

{

private:

string fname;

public:

ocl_file() : fname() {}

ocl_file(const char   *s) : fname(s) {}

ocl_file(const string &s) : fname(s) {} 

string	   &name()	   { return fname; }

const string &name() const { return fname; }

};

void operator>>(const ocl_file &file, ocl_program &prog) { prog.load(file.name()); }

class ocl_command_queue

{

public:

typedef ocl_command_queue self;

private:

cl_command_queue cmd_queue;

public:

ocl_command_queue(cl_context context, cl_device_id device) { cl_int err; cmd_queue = clCreateCommandQueue(context, device, 0, &err); ocl_check(err); }

~ocl_command_queue() { clReleaseCommandQueue(cmd_queue); }

cl_command_queue id() const { return cmd_queue; }

template<class V> void write(const V *p, ocl_buffer<V> &X) { ocl_check(clEnqueueWriteBuffer(id(),X.id(),CL_FALSE,0,sizeof(V)*X.nelms(), p, 0, NULL, NULL)); }

template<class V> void read (const ocl_buffer<V> &X, V *p) { ocl_check(clEnqueueReadBuffer (id(),X.id(),CL_TRUE ,0,sizeof(V)*X.nelms(), p, 0, NULL, NULL)); }

void operator()(const ocl_kernel &kern) { ocl_check(clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(id(),kern.id(), kern.dim(), NULL, &kern.global_work_size()[0], NULL, 0, NULL, NULL)); }

template<									class Y0> void operator()(													 ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) {								eval(0,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0						   ,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0									   , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0		 ); eval(1,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1				  ,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1						  , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0,x1	  ); eval(2,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1,class X2		 ,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2			 , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0,x1,x2   ); eval(3,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1,class X2,class X3,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2,const X3 &x3, ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0,x1,x2,x3); eval(4,kern,y0); }	

private:

template<class V> void set_input_arg (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const V &x) { kern.set_arg(i,x);  }

template<class V> void set_output_arg(int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const V &y) { kern.set_arg(i,y);  }

template<class V> void get_output_arg(int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const V &y) { }

template<class X0						   > void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0									   ) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); }

template<class X0,class X1				  > void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1						  ) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); set_input_arg(i+1,kern,x1); }

template<class X0,class X1,class X2		 > void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2			 ) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); set_input_arg(i+1,kern,x1); set_input_arg(i+2,kern,x2); }

template<class X0,class X1,class X2,class X3> void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2,const X3 &x3) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); set_input_arg(i+1,kern,x1); set_input_arg(i+2,kern,x2); set_input_arg(i+3,kern,x3); }

template<class Y0						   > void set_output(int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const Y0 &y0									   ) { set_output_arg(i,kern,y0); }

template<class V0> void get_output(int i, ocl_kernel &kern, V0 &y0) { }

template<class Y0> void eval(int i, ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_output(i,kern,y0); (*this)(kern); get_output(i,kern,y0); }

};

class ocl_context

{

public:

typedef ocl_context self;

private:

cl_context context;

public:

ocl_context() : context(0) {}

ocl_context(cl_device_type dev)

{

cl_int err; 

context = clCreateContextFromType(0, dev, NULL, NULL, &err); 

ocl_check(err); 

}

ocl_context(self &r) : context(r.context) { r.context=0; }

~ocl_context() { destroy(); }

self &operator=(self &r) { destroy(); context=r.id(); r.context=0; return *this; }

cl_context	 id	   () const { return context; }

ocl_devices	   devices	  () const { return ocl_devices(id()); }

ocl_command_queue command_queue() const { return ocl_command_queue(id(),devices()[0]); }

template<class V> ocl_rvector <V> rvector (int n) const { return ocl_rvector <V>(id(),n); }

template<class V> ocl_wvector <V> wvector (int n) const { return ocl_wvector <V>(id(),n); }

template<class V> ocl_rwvector<V> rwvector(int n) const { return ocl_rwvector<V>(id(),n); }

template<class V> ocl_rmatrix <V> rmatrix (int m,int n) const { return ocl_rmatrix <V>(id(),m,n); }

template<class V> ocl_wmatrix <V> wmatrix (int m,int n) const { return ocl_wmatrix <V>(id(),m,n); }

template<class V> ocl_rwmatrix<V> rwmatrix(int m,int n) const { return ocl_rwmatrix<V>(id(),m,n); }

ocl_program program(const char   *s) const { return ocl_program(id(),s); }

ocl_program program(const string &s) const { return ocl_program(id(),s); }

ocl_program load_program(const char   *fname) const { ocl_file is(fname); ocl_program prog(id()); is>>prog; return prog; }

ocl_program load_program(const string &fname) const { ocl_file is(fname); ocl_program prog(id()); is>>prog; return prog; }

ocl_kernel  kernel(const char   *src, const char   *kname) const { return program(src).kernel(kname); }

ocl_kernel  kernel(const string &src, const string &kname) const { return program(src).kernel(kname); }

ocl_kernel  load_kernel(const char   *fname, const char   *kname) const { return load_program(fname).kernel(kname); }

ocl_kernel  load_kernel(const string &fname, const string &kname) const { return load_program(fname).kernel(kname); }

private:

void destroy() { if (id()!=0) clReleaseContext(id()); }

};

struct ocl_gpu : public ocl_context { typedef ocl_gpu self; typedef ocl_context base; ocl_gpu() : base(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU) {} };

struct ocl_cpu : public ocl_context { typedef ocl_cpu self; typedef ocl_context base; ocl_cpu() : base(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU) {} };

static ocl_context ocl_current_context = ocl_cpu();

//static ocl_context ocl_current_context = ocl_gpu();

static ocl_command_queue ocl_current_command_queue = ocl_current_context.command_queue();

inline void gpu_set(ocl_context &context) { ocl_current_context=context; ocl_current_command_queue=ocl_current_context.command_queue(); }

template ocl_rvector gpu_rvector (int n) { return ocl_current_context.rvector (n); }

template ocl_wvector gpu_wvector (int n) { return ocl_current_context.wvector (n); }

template ocl_rwvector gpu_rwvector(int n) { return ocl_current_context.rwvector(n); }

template ocl_rmatrix gpu_rmatrix (int m,int n) { return ocl_current_context.rmatrix (m,n); }

template ocl_wmatrix gpu_wmatrix (int m,int n) { return ocl_current_context.wmatrix (m,n); }

template ocl_rwmatrix gpu_rwmatrix(int m,int n) { return ocl_current_context.rwmatrix(m,n); }

inline ocl_program gpu_program(const char *src) { return ocl_current_context.program(src); }

inline ocl_program gpu_program(const string &src) { return ocl_current_context.program(src); }

inline ocl_program gpu_load_program(const char *fname) { return ocl_current_context.load_program(fname); }

inline ocl_program gpu_load_program(const string &fname) { return ocl_current_context.load_program(fname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_kernel(const char *src, const char *kname) { return ocl_current_context.kernel(src,kname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_kernel(const string &src, const string &kname) { return ocl_current_context.kernel(src,kname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_load_kernel(const char *fname, const char *kname) { return ocl_current_context.load_kernel(fname,kname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_load_kernel(const string &fname, const string &kname) { return ocl_current_context.load_kernel(fname,kname); }

template void gpu_write(const V *p, ocl_buffer &X) { ocl_current_command_queue.write(p,X); }

template void gpu_read (const ocl_buffer &X, V *p) { ocl_current_command_queue.read (X,p); }

template< class Y0> void gpu_exec( ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue( kern,y0); }

template<class X0 ,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0 , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0 ,kern,y0); }

template<class X0,class X1 ,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1 , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0,x1 ,kern,y0); }

template<class X0,class X1,class X2 ,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2 , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0,x1,x2 ,kern,y0); }

template<class X0,class X1,class X2,class X3,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2,const X3 &x3, ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0,x1,x2,x3,kern,y0); }

#endif

');

ocl_check(clGetProgramBuildInfo(id(), dev, CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG, n, &s[0], NULL));

throw ocl_error(err,s);

}

return *this; 

}

};

class ocl_file

{

private:

string fname;

public:

ocl_file() : fname() {}

ocl_file(const char   *s) : fname(s) {}

ocl_file(const string &s) : fname(s) {} 

string	   &name()	   { return fname; }

const string &name() const { return fname; }

};

void operator>>(const ocl_file &file, ocl_program &prog) { prog.load(file.name()); }

class ocl_command_queue

{

public:

typedef ocl_command_queue self;

private:

cl_command_queue cmd_queue;

public:

ocl_command_queue(cl_context context, cl_device_id device) { cl_int err; cmd_queue = clCreateCommandQueue(context, device, 0, &err); ocl_check(err); }

~ocl_command_queue() { clReleaseCommandQueue(cmd_queue); }

cl_command_queue id() const { return cmd_queue; }

template<class V> void write(const V *p, ocl_buffer<V> &X) { ocl_check(clEnqueueWriteBuffer(id(),X.id(),CL_FALSE,0,sizeof(V)*X.nelms(), p, 0, NULL, NULL)); }

template<class V> void read (const ocl_buffer<V> &X, V *p) { ocl_check(clEnqueueReadBuffer (id(),X.id(),CL_TRUE ,0,sizeof(V)*X.nelms(), p, 0, NULL, NULL)); }

void operator()(const ocl_kernel &kern) { ocl_check(clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(id(),kern.id(), kern.dim(), NULL, &kern.global_work_size()[0], NULL, 0, NULL, NULL)); }

template<									class Y0> void operator()(													 ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) {								eval(0,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0						   ,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0									   , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0		 ); eval(1,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1				  ,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1						  , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0,x1	  ); eval(2,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1,class X2		 ,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2			 , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0,x1,x2   ); eval(3,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1,class X2,class X3,class Y0> void operator()(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2,const X3 &x3, ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_input(0,kern,x0,x1,x2,x3); eval(4,kern,y0); }	

private: 

template<class V> void set_input_arg (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const V &x) { kern.set_arg(i,x);  }

template<class V> void set_output_arg(int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const V &y) { kern.set_arg(i,y);  }

template<class V> void get_output_arg(int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const V &y) { }

template<class X0						   > void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0									   ) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); }

template<class X0,class X1				  > void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1						  ) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); set_input_arg(i+1,kern,x1); }

template<class X0,class X1,class X2		 > void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2			 ) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); set_input_arg(i+1,kern,x1); set_input_arg(i+2,kern,x2); }

template<class X0,class X1,class X2,class X3> void set_input (int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2,const X3 &x3) { set_input_arg (i,kern,x0); set_input_arg(i+1,kern,x1); set_input_arg(i+2,kern,x2); set_input_arg(i+3,kern,x3); }

template<class Y0						   > void set_output(int i,ocl_kernel &kern, const Y0 &y0									   ) { set_output_arg(i,kern,y0); }

template<class V0> void get_output(int i, ocl_kernel &kern, V0 &y0) { }

template<class Y0> void eval(int i, ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { set_output(i,kern,y0); (*this)(kern); get_output(i,kern,y0); }

};

class ocl_context

{

public:

typedef ocl_context self;

private:

cl_context context;

public:

ocl_context() : context(0) {}

ocl_context(cl_device_type dev)

{

cl_int err; 

context = clCreateContextFromType(0, dev, NULL, NULL, &err); 

ocl_check(err); 

}

ocl_context(self &r) : context(r.context) { r.context=0; }

~ocl_context() { destroy(); }

self &operator=(self &r) { destroy(); context=r.id(); r.context=0; return *this; }

cl_context	 id	   () const { return context; }

ocl_devices	   devices	  () const { return ocl_devices(id()); }

ocl_command_queue command_queue() const { return ocl_command_queue(id(),devices()[0]); }

template<class V> ocl_rvector <V> rvector (int n) const { return ocl_rvector <V>(id(),n); }

template<class V> ocl_wvector <V> wvector (int n) const { return ocl_wvector <V>(id(),n); }

template<class V> ocl_rwvector<V> rwvector(int n) const { return ocl_rwvector<V>(id(),n); }

template<class V> ocl_rmatrix <V> rmatrix (int m,int n) const { return ocl_rmatrix <V>(id(),m,n); }

template<class V> ocl_wmatrix <V> wmatrix (int m,int n) const { return ocl_wmatrix <V>(id(),m,n); }

template<class V> ocl_rwmatrix<V> rwmatrix(int m,int n) const { return ocl_rwmatrix<V>(id(),m,n); }

ocl_program program(const char   *s) const { return ocl_program(id(),s); }

ocl_program program(const string &s) const { return ocl_program(id(),s); }

ocl_program load_program(const char   *fname) const { ocl_file is(fname); ocl_program prog(id()); is>>prog; return prog; }

ocl_program load_program(const string &fname) const { ocl_file is(fname); ocl_program prog(id()); is>>prog; return prog; }

ocl_kernel  kernel(const char   *src, const char   *kname) const { return program(src).kernel(kname); }

ocl_kernel  kernel(const string &src, const string &kname) const { return program(src).kernel(kname); }

ocl_kernel  load_kernel(const char   *fname, const char   *kname) const { return load_program(fname).kernel(kname); }

ocl_kernel  load_kernel(const string &fname, const string &kname) const { return load_program(fname).kernel(kname); }

private:

void destroy() { if (id()!=0) clReleaseContext(id()); }

};	

struct ocl_gpu : public ocl_context { typedef ocl_gpu self; typedef ocl_context base; ocl_gpu() : base(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU) {} };

struct ocl_cpu : public ocl_context { typedef ocl_cpu self; typedef ocl_context base; ocl_cpu() : base(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU) {} };

static ocl_context ocl_current_context = ocl_cpu();

//static ocl_context ocl_current_context = ocl_gpu();

static ocl_command_queue ocl_current_command_queue = ocl_current_context.command_queue();

inline void gpu_set(ocl_context &context) { ocl_current_context=context; ocl_current_command_queue=ocl_current_context.command_queue(); }

template<class V> ocl_rvector <V> gpu_rvector (int n) { return ocl_current_context.rvector <V>(n); }

template<class V> ocl_wvector <V> gpu_wvector (int n) { return ocl_current_context.wvector <V>(n); }

template<class V> ocl_rwvector<V> gpu_rwvector(int n) { return ocl_current_context.rwvector<V>(n); }

template<class V> ocl_rmatrix <V> gpu_rmatrix (int m,int n) { return ocl_current_context.rmatrix <V>(m,n); }

template<class V> ocl_wmatrix <V> gpu_wmatrix (int m,int n) { return ocl_current_context.wmatrix <V>(m,n); }

template<class V> ocl_rwmatrix<V> gpu_rwmatrix(int m,int n) { return ocl_current_context.rwmatrix<V>(m,n); }

inline ocl_program gpu_program(const char   *src) { return ocl_current_context.program(src); }

inline ocl_program gpu_program(const string &src) { return ocl_current_context.program(src); }

inline ocl_program gpu_load_program(const char   *fname) { return ocl_current_context.load_program(fname); }

inline ocl_program gpu_load_program(const string &fname) { return ocl_current_context.load_program(fname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_kernel(const char   *src, const char   *kname) { return ocl_current_context.kernel(src,kname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_kernel(const string &src, const string &kname) { return ocl_current_context.kernel(src,kname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_load_kernel(const char   *fname, const char   *kname) { return ocl_current_context.load_kernel(fname,kname); }

inline ocl_kernel gpu_load_kernel(const string &fname, const string &kname) { return ocl_current_context.load_kernel(fname,kname); }

template<class V> void gpu_write(const V *p, ocl_buffer<V> &X) { ocl_current_command_queue.write(p,X); }

template<class V> void gpu_read (const ocl_buffer<V> &X, V *p) { ocl_current_command_queue.read (X,p); }

template<									class Y0> void gpu_exec(													 ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(			kern,y0); }	

template<class X0						   ,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0									   , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0		 ,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1				  ,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1						  , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0,x1	  ,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1,class X2		 ,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2			 , ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0,x1,x2   ,kern,y0); }	

template<class X0,class X1,class X2,class X3,class Y0> void gpu_exec(const X0 &x0,const X1 &x1,const X2 &x2,const X3 &x3, ocl_kernel &kern, Y0 &y0) { return ocl_current_command_queue(x0,x1,x2,x3,kern,y0); }	

#endif

[quote name=‘Pat2’ post=‘956012’ date=‘Nov 26 2009, 04:55 PM’]

Well OpenCL does not seem to be mature enough.

With the ATI SDK:

• the creation of a GPU context fails, probably because I don’t have an ATI card (but a GeForce)

• the creation of a CPU context succeeds but the build process fails (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE)

The kernel is the easiest I could imagine for a first test, and works fine with the NVidia SDK

[codebox]// simple vector addition

__kernel void add(

__global const float* a,

__global const float* b,

__global float* c,

int sz, float u, float v)

{

int gid = get_global_id(0);

if (gid < sz)

c[gid] = a[gid] + b[gid];

}

[/codebox]

ignore the parameters u and v in the parameter list, they are not relevant. This code works fine both on a GPU with NVIDIA’s OpenCL and on a CPU with ATI’s OpenCL (2.0 beta4)- Don’t know about ATI GPUs since I have none. I have compared CUDA code with OpenCL code for NVIDIA and the performance is about the same. I have not found anything immature about OpenCL - mainly using it from Python with my own Python bindings.

Thanks for your answer.
But as I wrote in a previous post, it now works (nvidia GPU, and ATI CPU), I do not know why since I think I did not change anything…

I am a bit desappointed by the memory transfer rate: it makes difficult to use GPU for math optimization; I’ll make nevertheless some other tests with OpenCL in the next weeks…

Is it possible that somehow the PATH variable got updated, and previously it wasn’t?

I did not change the path myself, that’s for sure.

But, I do not think it is the reason, because I actually replaced the ‘opencl.dll’ file from NVIDIA with the file from ATI (in c:/winndows/system32) to make sure it use the dll I want. And the right DLL was used because I noticed that ATI implementation writes a small message, that the licence is for test only and for a few months.