Can't install cuda on wsl2. "The public CUDA GPG key does not appear to be installed."

I follow the installation guide of cuda on wsl2. I’ve tried both options but I get similar error:

simon@LAPTOP-1DR6GGES:~$ sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local_11.7.0-1_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 44224 files and directories currently installed.)                                                                                                                                            
Preparing to unpack cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local_11.7.0-1_amd64.deb ...                                                                                                                                         
Unpacking cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local (11.7.0-1) over (11.7.0-1) ...                                                                                                                                           
Setting up cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local (11.7.0-1) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
The public CUDA GPG key does not appear to be installed.                                                                                                                                                           
To install the key, run this command:                                                                                                                                                                              
sudo cp /var/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local/cuda-B81839D3-keyring.gpg /usr/share/keyrings/                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

When I run the suggested command, nothing changes. I get the same error.

Any help is much appreciated.

3 Likes

Same here, it seems Option1(recommended) in the instruction does not work for me…
CUDA on WSL :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation (nvidia.com)

My Ubuntu is 18.04.5 LTS downloaded from Microsoft Store on WSL2 platform, Windows10 Pro(20H2), 19042.1706. Cuda driver is successfully installed on Windows.

Hmm, we can have someone on the packaging/installer side to look at why that particular one is failing on this distribution.

In the meantime this should unblock you:
Go to our CUDA Toolkit dowload page and use the .run file: CUDA Toolkit 11.7 Downloads | NVIDIA Developer

Thanks,

@Javalama @rboissel

The post-installer is throwing this error because it expects the keyring to be in a different file. This should work:

# Save they key because we will swap it back after installing.
sudo mv /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg \
        /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg.bak

sudo cp /var/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local/cuda-B81839D3-keyring.gpg \
        /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg

sudo dpkg -i cuda-keyring_1.0-1_all.deb

sudo mv /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg.bak \

How I went about debugging this:

• Enable script debug messages with sudo dpkg -D2 -i cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local_11.7.0-1_amd64.deb
  • Process forks to run post install script right before the error message: D000002: fork/exec /var/lib/dpkg/info/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local.postinst ( configure 11.7.0-1 )
  • Inspect the post installer script (cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local.postinst)
  • Post installer script thinks that the B81839D3 key should be located at /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg not /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-B81839D3-keyring.gpg.
5 Likes

@Javalama @rboissel

There is an issue with the post-installer – it expects the key to be in a different file. This was the workaround I did:

# Save the key because we will swap it back after installing.
sudo mv /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg \
        /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg.bak

# Move the key to the right location.
sudo cp /var/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local/cuda-B81839D3-keyring.gpg \

# Install.
sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local_11.7.0-1_amd64.deb

# Swap the old key back!
sudo mv /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg.bak \

How I went about debugging this:

• Run dpkg with installer script debug output: sudo dpkg -D2 -i cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local_11.7.0-1_amd64.deb
  • dpkg tells us that we fork to a process right before the error is thrown: D000002: fork/exec /var/lib/dpkg/info/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local.postinst ( configure 11.7.0-1 )
  • Look inside the post-install script: cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local.postinst
  • The post-install script expects that the B81839D3 key is in /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg not /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-B81839D3-keyring.gpg

I have the same problem and unfortunately, your method does not help me.

I also get the same error message for both suggested methods at CUDA on WSL :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation. Neither of the fixes above resolves the issue.

I also encountered this problem. Windows 10 (21H2), Uduntu 20.04, CUDA 11.7.

1 Like

Thanks. I was tried to install cuDNN to ubuntu 20.04- cuda 11.7 and got this error message
I didn’t have cuda-archive-keyring.gpg so I didn’t need the backup.
I simply perform:

sudo cp /var/cudnn-local-repo-ubuntu2004-8.4.1.50/cudnn-local-E3EC4A60-keyring.gpg /usr/share/keyrings/cuda- archive-keyring.gpg

And then dpkg worked.

2 Likes

Used your tips, it works for me.
sudo cp /var/cuda-repo-wsl-ubuntu-11-7-local/cuda-B81839D3-keyring.gpg /usr/share/keyrings/cuda-archive-keyring.gpg

5 Likes