Connecing a MCP2515 to a jetson Orin nano

I’m trying to do data acquisition with ROS2 on a jetson orin nano, the first step of this is to connect the nano to the CAN BUS via a transceiver. I’m using an MCP2515 CAN module for this.

The problems I’m facing are:

1. The module doesn’t get powered up i.e. the PWR LED on it doesn’t glow even when I connect 5V and GND, I checked the pins with a multimeter , it shows around 4.9V.

2. I’m tying to follow along this github solution here but I get stuck here:

when I run this

make all_jetsonnano

This is my console o/p:

CC [M]  /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.o
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c: In function ‘mcp25xxfd_handle_tefif_one’:
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:1313:17: error: too few arguments to function ‘can_rx_offload_get_echo_skb’
 1313 |                 can_rx_offload_get_echo_skb(&priv->offload,
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/spi_can_compatible.h:18,
                 from /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd.h:15,
                 from /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:26:
./include/linux/can/rx-offload.h:47:14: note: declared here
   47 | unsigned int can_rx_offload_get_echo_skb(struct can_rx_offload *offload,
      |              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c: In function ‘mcp25xxfd_hw_rx_obj_to_skb’:
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:1482:28: error: implicit declaration of function ‘can_dlc2len’; did you mean ‘can_fd_dlc2len’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 1482 |                 cfd->len = can_dlc2len(get_canfd_dlc(dlc));
      |                            ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                            can_fd_dlc2len
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:1482:40: error: implicit declaration of function ‘get_canfd_dlc’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 1482 |                 cfd->len = can_dlc2len(get_canfd_dlc(dlc));
      |                                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:1487:28: error: implicit declaration of function ‘get_can_dlc’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 1487 |                 cfd->len = get_can_dlc(FIELD_GET(MCP25XXFD_OBJ_FLAGS_DLC,
      |                            ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c: In function ‘mcp25xxfd_tx_obj_from_skb’:
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:2321:15: error: implicit declaration of function ‘can_len2dlc’; did you mean ‘can_fd_len2dlc’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 2321 |         dlc = can_len2dlc(cfd->len);
      |               ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |               can_fd_len2dlc
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c: In function ‘mcp25xxfd_start_xmit’:
/home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:2423:9: error: too few arguments to function ‘can_put_echo_skb’
 2423 |         can_put_echo_skb(skb, ndev, tx_head);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from ./include/linux/can/dev.h:23,
                 from /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd.h:14,
                 from /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.c:26:
./include/linux/can/skb.h:20:5: note: declared here
   20 | int can_put_echo_skb(struct sk_buff *skb, struct net_device *dev,
      |     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:295: /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT/mcp25xxfd-core.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1910: /home/agnirath/Downloads/seeed-linux-dtoverlays/modules/CAN-HAT] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:157: all_jetsonnano] Error 2

If someone could please help me with this

Sorry for the late response.
Is this still an issue to support? Any result can be shared?

Hi jaayanth.jr,

Are you using the devkit or custom board for Orin Nano?
What’s your Jetpack version in use?

It seems you are using Orin Nano, but your guide is for Jetson Nano. They are different module and also different kernel releases.

MCP2515 is a 3rd-party module to use CAN interface through SPI interface.
I would suggest you can verify SPI loopback test first.
Then, request your vendor for the porting guide to use MCP2515 module on Jetson device.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.