CS2 Stuck on Valve Logo on startup 545 beta branch

As per title, after updating to the latest 545 beta branch the game just hangs on the Valve Logo on startup.
So far I wasn’t able to find a working solution.

EDIT: Played around a little more even with some suggestions on the github for CS2 with no avail the game ran fine on 535, but 545 beta just hangs in on Valve logo.

3 Likes

I can duplicate this with both CS2 and SteamVR Home (also uses Valve Source 2 engine).

This seems to happen only under wayland session, I am able to launch cs2 fine on xorg.

Please share nvidia bug report from repro state.
@Vash63
Are you seeing issue only on wayland or X11 or both protocols ?

I only tested it on Wayland. Won’t have access to my PC for a while to test further.

Hi,
From my tests this only happens on wayland session and not on xorg.
Attaching bug report.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.4 MB)

EDIT: I’m not sure if it’s related but gamescope on fullscreen doesn’t work in wayland as well.

I have filed a bug 4343568 for tracking purpose.
Shall try for local repro and will get back if needs any further information for it.

Thanks very much for catching this issue. It revealed a pretty nasty bug in our Vulkan/Xwayland code. I’ll get it fixed before the official (non-beta) 545 release.

4 Likes

For me only nested gamescope 3.12.5 doesn’t launch in fullscreen. Gamescope 3.12.5 in a separate session starts fine. Gamescope after 3.12.5 is completely borked but you should already know about it: Latest Gamescope breaks NVIDIA · Issue #987 · ValveSoftware/gamescope · GitHub

That is correct after 3.12.5 it gives black screen for anything, but what I noticed for gamescope is that with driver 545 and version 3.12.5 of gamescope - on x11 there is no issue on my KDE Plasma to start in fullscreen, but on wayland it just hangs on black screen, which wasn’t the case in 535.

Argh, very sorry everyone, this won’t actually be fixed in the next 545 release. I was rushing to try and get the fix submitted last-minute, but I have just realized it contained an incredibly dumb mistake which I didn’t catch in my testing. Feels bad, man.

3 Likes

Scratch my last comment, I managed to sneak the correction in. So this should, in fact, be fixed in the upcoming 545 official release. Sorry for the confusion.

6 Likes

I still have this issue with 545.29.02 and wayland.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (2.4 MB)

Hmm, I just double-checked locally and I’m no longer seeing the hang. Note that the game does still linger for a while on the Valve logo while it compiles shaders, but eventually it shows the menu. How long did you wait before giving up?

Waited about 3 minutes or so. Under x11 dota and cs pretty much start instantly. I can try again and let it run for a while and report back but with 535 under wayland, this only ever takes a couple of seconds from the logo to mainmenu.

EDIT:
Also just from looking at CPU/GPU utilization, there is no shader compilation happining while the game hangs at the splash logo.

Oh, it looks like my fix got included in 545.29.03, but the version on our website is 545.29.02. So that explains why you’re still seeing the issue. Sorry about that, I’m not sure what went wrong.

Waited for about 10 minutes now, but it’s still stuck. Is there anything else I can provide?

Alright, nevermind then

I’ll check with our release team to try and figure out what happened. Maybe we can get the newer version (with the fix) posted. Otherwise I guess it will need to wait for the next cycle.

5 Likes

Any updates with 545.29.03 ?
Can’t wait to test it with Star Citizen + Gamescope. :-)