CUDA with4 cards GTX 480

Hi all,

I want to know if it’s possible to build a GPU server with 4 cards GTX 480 to use CUDA development ?
With Linux FEDORA for example.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

Should be possible. But I think the biggest roadblock would be to find a server with 4 PCIe v2 x16 slots. I tried to use an HP DL580 G5 but no go. It didn’t have PCI v2 slots at all. I would have to get a DL580 G7 for that and not sure that its out yet. Also looked into using DL380 G6 but it only has 1 full length slot in each card cage. You need at least 2 full length slots since the card is double width. I don’t know about Dell, IBM and other server vendors, but that’s what I found out for HP.

So for now, we’re testing with an HP Z800 workstation with 2 Tesla C2050 boards (since it only has 2 PCIe v2 x16 sots). The solution for the future at my workplace is getting the HP SL390s. It has the GPUs in custom modules and is only 2U.

Hope this helps,

Philippe

Should be possible. But I think the biggest roadblock would be to find a server with 4 PCIe v2 x16 slots. I tried to use an HP DL580 G5 but no go. It didn’t have PCI v2 slots at all. I would have to get a DL580 G7 for that and not sure that its out yet. Also looked into using DL380 G6 but it only has 1 full length slot in each card cage. You need at least 2 full length slots since the card is double width. I don’t know about Dell, IBM and other server vendors, but that’s what I found out for HP.

So for now, we’re testing with an HP Z800 workstation with 2 Tesla C2050 boards (since it only has 2 PCIe v2 x16 sots). The solution for the future at my workplace is getting the HP SL390s. It has the GPUs in custom modules and is only 2U.

Hope this helps,

Philippe

Sure.

A 4-GPU system isn’t too hard. Basically take an ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer motherboard and a case which has 8 expansion slots… Add a high power PSU (1500W Toughpower, for example) and you’re all set. It will cost you about $1500 not including the GPUs.

For less than $1000 you can build a 3 GPU system with NVIDIA embedded graphics (MSI 790GX-G65), which is a real sweet spot since most often you need a display anyway.

You can even get 8 cards with some fancy servers, but those are pretty pricy, around 10K or more, not counting GPUs. There were many at the GTC conference this week.

Sure.

A 4-GPU system isn’t too hard. Basically take an ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer motherboard and a case which has 8 expansion slots… Add a high power PSU (1500W Toughpower, for example) and you’re all set. It will cost you about $1500 not including the GPUs.

For less than $1000 you can build a 3 GPU system with NVIDIA embedded graphics (MSI 790GX-G65), which is a real sweet spot since most often you need a display anyway.

You can even get 8 cards with some fancy servers, but those are pretty pricy, around 10K or more, not counting GPUs. There were many at the GTC conference this week.

Your price estimate is a little high, at least if you’re not including the cost of the GPUs. Check out:

http://elnexus.com/gpu-computing.aspx?ad=g…CFYlY2godJUhT6A

This is probably one (of many) good starting place for someone totally new to the field who needs a 4 GPU supercomputer.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with this company, not even as a customer. Just saw the ad a few days ago. If anyone has more info about them, please share.

Regards,

Martin

Your price estimate is a little high, at least if you’re not including the cost of the GPUs. Check out:

http://elnexus.com/gpu-computing.aspx?ad=g…CFYlY2godJUhT6A

This is probably one (of many) good starting place for someone totally new to the field who needs a 4 GPU supercomputer.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with this company, not even as a customer. Just saw the ad a few days ago. If anyone has more info about them, please share.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for the link! That’s the first system builder I’ve seen with a configurator for the server boxes. Looks like their very cheapest barebones box for 8 GPU is $6773, not counting GPUs.

Thanks for the link! That’s the first system builder I’ve seen with a configurator for the server boxes. Looks like their very cheapest barebones box for 8 GPU is $6773, not counting GPUs.

Dell also has an expansion box c410 if I remember correctly in which you could cram 16 gpu’s at max, and you connect them (flexibly as I understand it) to 1-8 PCI-E x16 v2 slots.

Dell also has an expansion box c410 if I remember correctly in which you could cram 16 gpu’s at max, and you connect them (flexibly as I understand it) to 1-8 PCI-E x16 v2 slots.

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards.

Best regards.

Best regards.

We are running 115 Supermicro 4U boxes each with 4 GPUs, and ~40 of these are quad GTX480.

We are running 115 Supermicro 4U boxes each with 4 GPUs, and ~40 of these are quad GTX480.

Does anybody have experience with Thermaltake Element V case and EVGA 170-BL-E762-A1 Motherboard, as far as quad-Fermi configurations are concerned?

Case: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx…321&ID=1900
Motherboard: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=170-BL-E762-A1

Allegedly, the case has been designed for 4 GPUs (even though the case has 7 PCI slots):

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Element-C…eATX,10797.html

"There’s also an exclusive “air duct” system engineered to provide added cooling for Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 480 and 470 GPUs running in advanced 3-way or Quad SLI configurations. This system sucks in fresh air from outside the chassis and sends it straight into the graphic cards’ intake to “increase heat dissipation and achieve optimal cooling efficiency.”

Besides the air duct feature, I like the case due to the power supply being placed at the bottom. The latter might be important given how heavy 1200W power supplies are. Also the case is fairly inexpensive at $155 with free shipping from Amazon.

Thanks!