Driver 545.29.06.0 - No video or SSH on resume from suspend

When using the latest NVIDIA (dkms) driver available for my system, artix linux, 545.29.06.0, I cannot get an image upon resuming from suspend. Other things break upon suspend too, such as my xmodmap resetting and crucially SSH no longer accepting connections. I can open a terminal blind and run ‘ping 1.1.1.1 > test’ and upon rebooting and reading the test file, it shows that the machine was still connected to the network.

If I enable PreserveVideoAllocations (“PVA”) in modprobe.conf, I cannot suspend from an X session. If I suspend from the console, I also don’t get an image when I resume, but SSH is unaffected.

Driver 530 works great with suspend/resume. Driver 535 shows a black screen for a couple of seconds after resuming, but eventually gets around to showing the image. Driver 545 has the issue described above. No other packages were changed between driver version changes, so all this behaviour is down to the driver version.

I’ve uploaded a bug report from before suspending from the console with and afterwards. PVA was enabled for this.
nvidia_after_suspend.log.gz (314.3 KB)
nvidia_before_suspend.log.gz (518.4 KB)

Further info: GPU used is a GTX 970. I’m not using the nvidia module in mkinitcpio. I’m not using ‘kernel-open’ since it’s not available for my GPU. My monitor is a Dell UP3017, which as far as I can tell doesn’t have a “Deep Sleep” option. It has a “Monitor Sleep” option which I’ve set to “Never” to no effect.

If I try to ‘startx’ from the blank console screen, I get get errors in dmesg (attached)
dmesg_after.txt (2.2 KB)

NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1 is set, yet the accompanying nvidia-suspend, nvidia-resume systemd units don’t seem to be installed/enabled…

This also happens to me on 6.6.* (tried both 6.6.2, and 6.6.6 today) and 545. Downgrading to 6.5.8 and 535 lets suspend resume.

This seems to be affecting quite a few 970 users over on the Arch fora.

Has this been reported to the dev team or should I send an email?

I’ve also noted that mpv and xscreensaver do not display with Driver 545.

1 Like

Update: Beta Driver 550, which is now out, fixes the suspend issue on GTX 970.
mpv and xscreensaver are also working now.
NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations does not need to be enabled.

Which 550? obap74 reported over at the Arch forums:

The following two replies in that thread also indicate issues with newer drivers.

As I went to confirm this issue, I tried running the bug report script while the screen was black after resume from suspend. However, while waiting for this to run, the display came back on! Further attempts to reproduce without rebooting gave similar results, with the time for the display to come back on ranging from 1 to 10 seconds.

Unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to upload the log file. I’m on 550.54.14, Kernel 6.5.0-21-generic, Ubuntu 23.10, GTX 1650, Intel i7-3770.

My post was in regard to 550.40. I can try 550.54 and report back. It would be a shame if the regression has returned so soon, but at least it appears the devs are working on it (or just changing the behaviour unintentionally)

That would be great if you could, thanks- I haven’t yet moved off 535 / 6.5.x as I have a lot on my plate and no time for figuring out driver issues >_< !

Updated from 550.40.07 to 550.54.14 (latest, dkms) and rebooted. Resume, mpv and xscreensaver all work fine like before.

The only difference is that 550.40 used to flash my tty1 console output for 1-2s before showing me my X session, whereas the new 550.54 shows me the X session immediately, which is an improvement. Definitely no 10 second (!) delay or tty switching needed.

1 Like

Thanks for checking that one and reporting back :)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.