ERROR: Nvidia driver is not loaded - Ubuntu 22.04

Hi,
Nvidia drivers seem not to load even though the card is recognized by the OS and recommended driver nvidia 525 is installed.

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running

$ dkms status
nvidia/525.89.02, 5.19.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)

// i dont knwo how to resolve this warning as i am new to linux

$ uname -r
5.19.0-38-generic

$ nvidia-settings

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

(nvidia-settings:48815): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:21:54.350: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

** (nvidia-settings:48815): CRITICAL **: 14:21:54.354: ctk_powermode_new: assertion ‘(ctrl_target != NULL) && (ctrl_target->h != NULL)’ failed

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file or the X server is not accessible. This file should have been installed along with this driver at
/usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot be prepopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help
text. Please see the README for possible values and descriptions.

** Message: 14:21:54.413: PRIME: Usage: /usr/bin/prime-select nvidia|intel|on-demand|query
** Message: 14:21:54.413: PRIME: is “on-demand” mode supported? yes

I have already tried the following methods:

1. disabling security boot
  2. reinstalling driver 525 and reboot.

Any support would be highly appreciated.

PFA the bug report
nvidia-bug-report.log (8.8 MB)

1 Like

The nvidia gpu is turned off. Since also pci bus aer errors are reported, it’s likely broken. Or you have bbswitch installed. Please uninstall the nvidia driver and provide a dmesg output after reboot.

Hi, thanks for your response.

1. I dont have bbswitch installed.
  2. I uninstalled nvidia driver using the following command:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ‘^nvidia-.*’
  3. After this I rebooted the PC and ran the command:
    sudo dmesg
    Output is attached in the text file
    dmesg output (88.8 KB)

Seems broken, as soon as anything is trying to use it (in this case nouveau), it shuts down.
You might check for a bios update but chances are low.

1 Like

The current version of bios is F.20 in my pc and the latest version on the site is F.21… I will try updating the bios…btw is there anything else that can be done in case this also doesnt work?

Also, thanks a lot for your help !!

1 Like

You could install windows, check the device manager for “Code 43” and then you’re ultimately sure it’s broken completely and disable it in bios, if possible.

1.it isnt showing any error on windows
2. btw i have updated the bios… should i send the bug report again or the dmesg output now?

1 Like

Just the dmesg output with drivers uninstalled.

dmesg_output_1.txt (90.1 KB)

also, bro now no sound is coming from videos. plz help in this issue too

I have same issue after upgraded to ubuntu22.04 kernel 5.19.0-38
So I now roll backed to the previous verion of kernel.