Event_sampling equivalent functionality for new CUPTI Profiling API?

Hello,

I understand that with the newer Turing cards (e.g. Tesla T4, RTX 2060/70/80), the Event/Metric APIs are being deprecated in favor of the Profiling API. As a result, the event_sampling CUPTI sample program no longer works; if you attempt to run it you will get an error message like this:

$ ./event_sampling
event_sampling.cu:86:Error CUPTI_ERROR_LEGACY_PROFILER_NOT_SUPPORTED for CUPTI API function 'cuptiSetEventCollectionMode'.

From what I can see, there are two new CUPTI sample programs that show how to do Range based profiling (userrange_profiling and autorange_profiling). However, Range profiling is not the same use-case as what event_sampling shows. In particular, event_sampling show cases the following features I’m interested in that I don’t believe the Profiling API provides:

• Time-periodic sampling: Time-periodic (e.g. every 50 milliseconds, NOT after each kernel invocation) sampling of GPU hardware counters, with hardware counters aggregating across multiple kernel runs.
  • No serialization of kernels: Concurrently executing kernels are not serialized during hardware counter sampling. This is provided by the call to cuptiSetEventCollectionMode(context, CUPTI_EVENT_COLLECTION_MODE_CONTINUOUS), as documented in 1.5. CUPTI Event API
  • Transparent to profiled code: Transparent to code being profiled; a separate thread can enable hardware event counter sampling without having to add Begin()/End() annotations to the measured code region like with the Profiling API’s Range profiling feature.

Does there exist equivalent functionality in the new Profiling API that satisfies these above features?

Thanks in advance!

“No serialization of kernels” and “Transparent to profiled code" should be possible with the new Profiling APIs using Range Profiling.

“Time-periodic sampling” is currently not supported with the new Profiling APIs.

It is not clear why you provided this link to “Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox” and how is it related to this forum query?